Interesting gas electric hybrid

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Getting closer to a practical working hybrid.

Of course motorized bicycles are hybrids- pedals and engines for power.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There ya' go Deacon- a weedwacker engine running a belt to a 12v car gererator to a 12v motor running on the tire like you set yours up.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That is way too much money but it is a cadillac , no doubt.
I've always wanted to build an electric push-trailer that is charged with a generator in the same way. Here in Ontario only electric is allowed and that is why I love this idea.
There are a few "motorized push-trailers" on you-tube if anyone is interested. There is even one guy that will be selling a one wheeled push-trailer that uses a 4 stroke engine.
Another way to go would be to pull a small trailer on an electric bike. The trailer would have the generator which is charging your batteries as you ride along.
I think that for me, an electric push-trailer with an on board generator would be be my dream.
Here is a link for a cool idea:

YouTube - Motorized bicycle motor.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
We kicked that idea around here once. nobody ever bothered to do it though. I build trailers to haul my batteries around on when I ride the electros.

michaelplogue

Mar 11, 2008
This is not really a very efficient setup. You would get better mileage by using a standard gas motor to propel the bike. Using a gas motor to generate electricity to run an electric motor........ Lots of lost energy through the entire process.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Deacon
I think you would like a Worksman PAV trike. They are expensive, bur not as expensive as broken bones and other injuries. They sit low. Visit Worksman.com if you have never seen one.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I took a look and yes they do sit lower. I don't know trikes are dangerous for sure. I did like the two wheel in front model. That is kind of interesting. Might make for a good DIY design...

Weld two axles to a pipe with the sooth parts outside the pipe Then weld it to the front fork of a bike. Put your wheels on with nuts and stuff to hold them in place but allow them to freewheel at the same time. Use twenty inch front wheels.

God i wish i could weld. Then you could put a standard china girl motor on it since the rear wheel would be the drive wheel.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
This is not really a very efficient setup. You would get better mileage by using a standard gas motor to propel the bike. Using a gas motor to generate electricity to run an electric motor........ Lots of lost energy through the entire process.
Yes, but it lots of fun to rig things up.