What to do first jet the carb or ignition

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
coming to the end of a rebuild, I have a new carb (dellorto SHA), and a home built modified ignition circuit. plus a shift kit

do I

A - throw all the new stuff on and try and tune it

B - put the NT carb and stock CDI and change one thing at a time.

C - new Carb with stock CDI on it to see whether I need to go up or down on the jet size. I have 10 spare jets to fit, so I have some adjustment. then change the CDI.

I wish I had an indoor bike trainer as a rolling road for tuning.

I an tending to go with C as I havent played with the timing of the mag.

any more ideas??

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
'B' is the correct answer.
Do one thing at a time so you'll have some basis of comparison.
Get it running to your satisfaction then make a change. Once that change has proved beneficial, move on to the next. Unless you know where you're at, you can't know where you're going.
Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As a rule I never change more than one thing at a time, if you do two or three things you don't know which new part or mortification helped.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
One thing at a time is the obvious answer. Personally I would start out with my stock/running setup then install the new CDI. Assuming your CDI is proper you should be up and running right away, some test riding would be in order. Once you're used to how she runs with the new CDI I would then change the carb. I figure your gonna have to do some sort of tuning on that carb anyways, so might as well do the tuning while running the ignition circuit that you're gonna end up with.... At least that is my way of thinking... Good Luck with your project!