Motor Will Not Start!!

GoldenMotor.com

stricly4myninjas

Jun 9, 2010
victorville
I bought a bike with motor already installed. The motor didnt work, but the guy told me that all it needed was a magneto. So I brought the bike and tried to ride it and when I popped the clutch I just heard the sound of the piston moving, but no real combustion, sounded like it lacked spark. I ordered a new CDI, Spark plug, magneto and magneto loop. I installed them, then rode the bike and got the same sound. Unhappy with these results, I kept trying, messing with the different parts on the carb as the clutch was engaged but the most I got was a couple sporadic back fires. It seems I can not paddle long enough to start this motor. ANy Ideas? Everything seems to be working the way it should.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
where is the choke???any air leaks???have you tried disconnecting the kill switch???have you tried to start it with the kill switch pressed in???there have been countless threads on here about the same thing...we'll all help you get this

stricly4myninjas

Jun 9, 2010
victorville
Heck Yeah, thanks for all your responses! Ok so the choke is on the carb, right next to the air filter. Im not to sure if there are any leaks around the carb, but last night I took off the cylinder head and noticed that the head gasket was in pretty bad shape. I also noticed a LOT of rust on just one of the head bolts (the rods that used to attach the head). Anyways I cleaned off the old gasket, but DID NOT replace it, and put the bike back together, and now I can feel a leak of air out the side, where the head meets the case. Can I buy that gasket paper from Autozone to use for the head gasket?

About the kill switch, When I bought the bike, the switch was already disconnected. I have it unhooked now cuz I didnt think it was making a difference, But at one point I did have the white wire attached to the black one on the kill switch, but that didnt work either. I have never tried to start it by holding in the kill switch because it is never hooked up.

about the spark plug. Last night I took out the plug and placed it against the muffler and confirmed that it has spark. When I took the plug out last night, there wasn't very much gas on it, but when I was trying vigorously to start the bike a couple days ago, I had a lot of fluid all over the spark plug and on top of the head.

and lastly, the gas was just replaced. Since I had took off the head and cleaned everything pretty good along with the carb, I decided to mix a 16:1 ratio like it said in the manual so thats what im using.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just throwing the idea out there: Is the magnetic rotor installed backwards? It is very easy to do. If it is then the spark will not be timed correctly to the crankshaft/ piston position.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
There is a way to tell by looking at the position of the magnets in relation to the key way in the rotor, but for the life of me I can't remember which way that is.
I am used to marking the outside of the rotor before I take it off so I can be sure to put it back on correct side out, and now I forgot the positions.
Check out Norm's help section. He is awesome with these engines.
Norm's 2 stroke repair center - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum