My new to me huffy Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Thanks it's a bit scratched up but I like the way it looks with this color. I was originally planning on painting it flat black with red wheels but I'm kinda liking the vintage look of it so I'll probably just leave it as is.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Thanks it's a bit scratched up but I like the way it looks with this color. I was originally planning on painting it flat black with red wheels but I'm kinda liking the vintage look of it so I'll probably just leave it as is.

Keep your eyes open for a Huffy Big Daddy --- it comes with this paint scheme!

I also think that your bike has a classy look!

Attachments

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Thanks! Rode it that way for a couple of years before the motor, however, there's not much left of the original bike.........

For some reason, the color scheme of yours reminds me of a Felt --- not a bad thing at all!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The 'Cranny' gets a bad rap from some of the members here but there are too many successful builds to ignore. Say what you want about a 'Cheap Walmart bike" but the Cranbrook has put many a motorized bicycle bulder on the road and enjoying this hobby.

I don't recall one report of a major problem or injury from a frame failure or any issues with this bike. My advice; build it right with the information available here and you'll have fun with it. And isn't that what this hobby is all about?

Good luck, Moto. Have fun with your new bike. And I like the color scheme too.

Tom

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
From what I gather on here it gets mixed reviews but I would say go for it just inspect the welds and everything else regularly. It does seem like a good bike. Very smooth although this one is like five years old so maybe the quality is different now.first upgrade should be a front brake though.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Go back about eight years, and maybe more, and the Kulana "Moon Dog" was a very popular bike for motorizing. But they didn't seem to last. I doubt if there are any more out there.

My very first MB was Kulana beach cruiser. But it was a 24 incher and had a different name. The frame seemed okay. But those wheels were flimsy.

The folks who don't care for the Cranbrook seem to think that it's down in Moon Dog territory as far as quality is concerned. But I think they're underestimating the Cranny.

I suppose it's not the most bomb-proof bike. But it's fairly tough and the price is very, very right.

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Still got my moondog from way back when. My first build , I need to build a back brake system for it now after putting on the 24 inch rear rim. Bike needs a good scrubbing its filthy.

Reactions: zing

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
My last personal build was The Dreaded and Feared Cranbrook, over 1500 miles, and after following all the good advice offered on this forum, I expect for it to last another 1500 miles.

If I could afford it, I would purchase one of Phantom Bikes. But then all the fun of building something that holds together is lost. But I would have one helluva bike.

Our Wal-Mart does not have an abundance of CranBrooks, they tend to cater to the little ones, and the MTB.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I was about to use a Cranbrook with my new motor, but after making a saddle to fit the curvy downtube with a spacer and tube to mount the front on, I found a Vista Workhorse industrial bike on Craigslist in Tulsa. $75 beat $89 for Wallyworld, and it has great coaster brake and heavy spokes. WIDE fenders. It was sun faded yellow so I sanded it down and rattlecanned it with yellow. I thought the motor would fit in the triangular frame, but it sat on my chainguard. I machined a 1/2" spacer to fit behind the front mount block. It clears the guard by about 1/4" now.