Nirve B-1

GoldenMotor.com

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
I really haven't seen any nirve B-1's at all. Curious as to why that is as I consider it one of the best looking frames out there (On par with the Felt frames IMHO).

So here is my project build. I have it dialed in better, and it still needs to be broken in/fuel tank properly sealed.

Let me know what you think. Any comments including criticisms are welcome. This will be an ongoing project most likely.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I really haven't seen any nirve B-1's at all. Curious as to why that is as I consider it one of the best looking frames out there (On par with the Felt frames IMHO).

So here is my project build. I have it dialed in better, and it still needs to be broken in/fuel tank properly sealed.
Awesome! (^)
Love that fork and the overall racer look.

Is that a Rock Solid reed valve?
What kind of tank are you sealing?

Do you have some pics of the other side?

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
Awesome! (^)
Love that fork and the overall racer look.

Is that a Rock Solid reed valve?
What kind of tank are you sealing?

Do you have some pics of the other side?
Yes, it is an RSE reed valve.

The tank is the fuel bottle in front of the rear wheel. I have a pulse pump pushing the fuel into the carb.

I'll get some pics of the other side later on after i finish resealing the tank with JB weld (leaks at the npt fitting at the bottom)

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
that thing is beastie man. where did you get those forks? I like that mono shock thing they have goin. I feel like they're on backwards though am i rite?

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
that thing is beastie man. where did you get those forks? I like that mono shock thing they have goin. I feel like they're on backwards though am i rite?
It's a Girvin fork. Not on backwards, although everyone seems to think that the first time they see it.

I dont have a build thread, sorry, but i will take pictures later on of specific components that I had to fab up that aren't off the shelf.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I would appreciate that, and any parts you happen to have that were off a shelf somewhere or a website link to where you got em would be helpful too. I've already mocked up my tank where yours is, I have a 29" frame with 26" tires so the fuel bottle fits like yours does, just need to figure out what kinda costs I'm looking at with that fuel pump you mentioned.

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
Okay.. so here are some more pics now that i have the tank resealed.

The engine mounts made from hockey pucks. They isolated the vibration very well. and cleaned up the look a lot nicer than U-bolts. I used the brackets that came with the kit.

I purchased the HD jackshaft kit from SickBikeParts but also cleaned up the components as well. Cut off excess metal off of the chain tensioner and actually used the old rear motor mount aluminum bracket to help space it out to the match the hockey puck mounts. You can also see in the pic the fuel pump set up I used and the fuel bottle/fuel pump bracket. The pump is a Mikuni pulse pump. Went with a brand name though there are lots of replica ones out there.

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
The bracket is made from 1/8" thick aluminum. The fuel pump bracket is epoxied onto the fuel bottle bracket. The bracket bolts onto the kick stand at the bottom, and I actually ended up using a 30mm scope ring to hold the top to the tube.

The Mikuni pump pulse signal is directly ported tot he crankcase. I drilled a hole (SUPER CAREFULLY) and tapped a 1/8" NPT fitting on there with a 1/4" hose barb. The intake has an RSE reed valve, an NT speed carb. Because the clutch hardware interfered with the carb mount, I had to extend the carb out and 45deg sideways by using the original intake tube and cutting off the flange. Coupled it with hose and clamps. Airfilter form SBP

Exhaust pipe is from Bike Berry. It's one of the expansion chamber pipes.

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
Clutch Lever

Throttle/brake set up. Throttle from SBP

Front Brake is a SturmeyArcher drum brake. I drilled two holes to mount to the front fork. It honestly is not enough stopping force for this. I'm probably going to have to rid of the nice front fork and go to the chopper style forks and run a disc set up in the future. I ended up soldering my own cable ends for the brake and the throttle to trim down the cable lengths to keep things clean.

Layback seat post. I cut up an old seat post. Bought some steel U-Channel. Did some cutting/bending. Had an exhaust shop help weld it up for 20$. Cleaned it all up with an angle grinder. Seat is a felt seat.

Rear extension is made from 3/16" thick 4130 plate steel. 4130 is strong stuff and will not yield with the forces applied. two 8-32 bolts to position find, and two 3/8 bolts for clamping force. I honestly thing the extension is what makes the bike look great. Without it, the frame is a bit mediocre.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Wow, that hockey puck mount is genius. Wonder if the mods approve of it. usually they despise anything with rubber but that looks solid. I bet I could make one of those mounts with a hacksaw and a couple of different files! I'm impressed man.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, that hockey puck mount is genius. Wonder if the mods approve of it. usually they despise anything with rubber but that looks solid. I bet I could make one of those mounts with a hacksaw and a couple of different files! I'm impressed man.
Hocky pucks aren't rubber and his method of mounting is far superior to those usually tried with a resilient material. His engine mount fasteners aren't being subjected to the vibrations produced by the engine.

Nice work Monwren. I applaud your attention to detail. Congratulations.

Tom

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Looks fantastic! I have been wanting to do a Nirve B1 build for a while now since the frame is begging for it. You really did it justice. Excellent work :)

monwren5

Jul 21, 2013
bay area
thanks for the encouragement everyone.

To clarify: Hockey puck mounts were not my idea, but one from the forum. I just used the brackets that came with the kit than u-bolts.

One update: The pulse line I originally had on there was a tad too long. I ended up having high rpm fueling issues as a result. So i cut down the tube, rerouting it, and now its fine.

Looking at 3 spd hubs now as well. Not really sure how I'm going to cleanly do a shifter either.

nate25tenn

Feb 17, 2013
Tennessee
Hockey pucks will do great. We used to use them to mount 2JZ engines into out MK3 Supras. My buddy has had them on his 1JZ Lexus SC300 for 6 years now.