Motorized Electric Scooter Converted To Gas

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Jan. 1, 2013
Today was the start of my new scooter project.
Recently I built a pusher trailer for a skateboard (more like a motorized fork) & then modified it to push a bicycle. The bicycle pusher proved pitiful & wore out the driven trailer tire within 10 miles (not enough weight on the driven wheel). It went back onto the skateboard as a weight bearing rear driver & worked pretty well, but where can you go on a skateboard? (I only rode it around my block)
I found a Razor e325 electric scooter being sold on Craigs list for $20 with messed up electronics. The scooter is designed to hold up to 200 lbs & has a heavy duty steel frame & fat 3.00-4 wheels & tires (10"). I'll be doing a conversion to gas power using my tried & true Tanaka PF3300 w/ Pocketbike 5:1 transmission. Project goal is to be street legal in my State (<50cc, <2 hp, <30 mph).
I ripped the electronics out & removed the 55 tooth freewheel. I threaded on a 18T BMX freewheel I had laying around. Now I just need to mount the pocketbike transmission using the uprights of the scooter frame above the rear tire.
Here are some pics of what it looks like so far.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here's a shot of the 18T freewheel installed (scooters must share the same threading as bicycles). I also hooked up the rear brake with new cables and lever & throttle cable & lever. Unfortunately I gotta go back to work tomorrow (vacation is over) & wont have the free time to get the engine mounted quickly...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
The frameset is solid.
Got so much lighter with the battery compartment & electric motor removed.
I've removed the Tanaka 32cc from the motorized skateboard project & am contemplating how to set up my mounting.
Bought some new Sawzall saw blades & a new 5/16 drill bit today in preparation for the festivities ahead.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are a few pics taken this morning.
I mounted the 5:1 pocketbike transmission to a piece of 1/4" angle aluminum. This piece will eventually be cut down (towards the rear of the scooter). I've drilled 2 holes thru the front part of the 1/4" mount & thru the scooter frame cross member & bolted with 1/4" bolts & nylocks. I vice-grip'd a piece of steel bar to both the freewheel cog & transmission cog to insure correct chain alignment. I will probably reinforce the scooter frame member (rear fender mount), with some additional 3/16" steel bar and then some diagonal bracing from the axle dropout to the upright.
Will post more pics as I find time to complete the mount.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here's what I got done this morning between 7am-10:30am.

I still have more to do & I made a list.

1- install longer engine mounting bolt
2- make 1 front transmission mount
3- reinforce left side of rack
4- install throttle cable (50' housing on order)
5- install chain (& derailleur?)
6- install foam grips (on order)
7- test rear brake lever (v-type) & keep or switch to non-V
8- install new rear tire (on order)
9- cut & drill platform beams (under floorboard reinforcements)
10- cut & drill wood deck platform (buy griptape?)
11- cut rear fender & mount (keeps pants out of rear tire & chain)
12- install expansion chamber (running forward along & under left side of platform)?
13- reinstall engine tilted counterclockwise one position (if using expansion chamber)?
14- cutoff battery mounting cage (under scooter)?

-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Here's mine;

It was gas to begin with, but the motor was cutting out so I put a 33cc Tanaka on it.

Works good now - :)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
MikeB,
Nice scoot!
I've geared mine to max 28-29 mph...but I'm not sure how it'll handle at those speeds?
What are your impressions on the low & high speed handling of yours?
Thanks,
-Lowracer-

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
This is geared low, so 20 is as fast as it goes. But it pulls great.

Handling? You are joking right? These things are as squirlly as it gets - :) I got this one because of the big wheels. I rode one of those small wheel models and near fell off.

Like all my bikes, it has a basket and a lock, so I can run errands on it.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
MikeB,
I got the scooter together enough today to test drive it & let my daughter ride it around the neighborhood. She's 9 & didn't want to stop riding it....lol
I started knocking some items off of my 'To Do' list.
- Bought the two bolts I needed to mount the engine & transmission to my motor mount.
- Installed the throttle cable
- Switched rear brake lever (V-brake levers dont work well with band brakes)
- Installed the chain & rear derailleur (properly routed chain around rear rack)
- Cut, drilled & bolted metal for temporary platform feet area (will go w/wood probably)

I still have more to do to it, but its rideable & lots of fun.
Its squirrelly compared to my refined MB's, but alot more stable than the motorized skateboard project I recently built. I could go far on one of these but will I?
probably not...
Good thing the chain didnt come off once! I think I got chain mgmt under control now...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thanks d gizzle
Was a nice build for $20.
I had the engine & trans from previous bikes & lots of spare parts/metal for the construct...
-Low-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I figure by the time I'm doing my 4th build(I'm about to start #2) I shouldn't have to buy anything. That doesn't mean I won't buy things,just that I won't NEED too.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
d gizzle,
I did order a new rear tire w/tube on eBay for $23 since the previous owner of the electric scooter liked to skid the rear tire.
I'd still like to own a 'real' scooter, but this one is nice & quiet and I think my daughter pretty much claimed it today as her's....lol
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Today (Sunday) it rained so I got to get most of the rest of my 'To Do' list knocked out on the scooter.
- I reinforced the left side of the engine rack with metal.
- Took a link out of the chain for improved rear derailleur position
- Mounted a chain shield
- added a front transmission mount
Now, I just need the foam hand grips (on order), new rear tire (on order) & cutoff the under frame battery cage.
Before the rain started, my daughter, son & I got a few laps around the block on it & this one is a keeper...
Here is a pic of it today w/chain guard detail
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
My kids have been taking turns riding this scooter all over the place & having a blast...
What a great project this was.
Last thing I did to it was took apart the headset & regreased the bearings & races...so smooth now.
I got a business associate bringing to work on Monday a gas powered scooter that his son doesn't look at anymore. He just wants to get rid of it & probably doesn't want much or anything for it.
I think I'll pick it up, tweak it & have 2 of these things in the stable for both my kids to rip around on & not have to take turns...
Here's a pic of the foam grips installed & the top to bottom...
-Cheers-
Lowracer

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I wanted to change my gearing to give more acceleration & less top speed.
I took the stock 4 bolt flanged freewheel that came with the Razor & unbolted the #25 chain sprocket since I run std. bicycle chain 1/2" x 1/8" (#410). I had a 22T 4 bolt MTB sprocket in my spare parts bin (64 bcd) looking like it would line up perfectly with the existing freewheel holes. I had to cut away some extra aluminum material around each hole in the sprocket with my handy sawzall to get it perfectly onto the flange. Bolted right up & allowed me to go from 18T to 22T which effectively changes the top speed from 28mph to 23mph while giving much better off the line & roll on acceleration. These scooters in stock electric form do a max of 15 mph and feel very stable up to ~20 mph. Anything above that makes for a squirrely ride on normal roads. I was going to thread on a 5 bolt ACS Crossfire flanged freewheel I got for a different project with a 32T chainring, but that would be too much of a gear jump & only max out @ 16 mph.
-Here are some pics-
-Lowracer-

Attachments