Clutch + Chain Frozen

GoldenMotor.com

willell

Jul 25, 2012
Illinois
So I was out testing my newly installed kit today, no gas in it just testing the pedaling with the clutch in. I let the clutch out and the motor started turning, which sounded good and I expected, so I put the clutch back in and continued. A little later on I released the clutch again, probably a little too fast and the back wheel locked up. the chain won't turn on the gear in the engine both with the clutch engaged and disengaged.

Im not sure how to troubleshoot this one, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help out.

Thanks in advance!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How do you have the chain tensioned? 1/2 to 3/4" free play?
I suspect that the chain got bound up around the engine sprocket. Remove the 3 screws and take off the sprocket cover and have a look.
Or... Have you tried rolling the rear wheel backwards to get the chain back on track?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"No gas in it"... :(

Spinning the engine without fuel means no lubrication. 2 stroke engines are lubricated with the oil that you mix with the gasoline. Don't do that.

I doubt that the engine is seized if you didn't ride it too long with the clutch engaged, but as GearNut suggested check your chain/sprocket tension and alignment.

Tom

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
I 3rd gearnut and 2door. Its the most likely possibility. The chain probably had too much slack and kinked up, that would freeze the chain and the clutch. It has happened to me before, its probaly pretty common. Pull that lil cover on where the chain enters the engine, that will show you what's up.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Thats kinda a good sign they are tight, perhaps there is a bundled up chain back there.

Try these tips.

1. - Use a good fitting screwdriver, it should fit perfect.
2. - With the screwdriver placed in the screw slot, hit the back of the screwdriver with a hammer. use good solid taps, nothing too crazy.
3. - Spray with WD-40 or similar.
4. - Try to tighten it first, then back it off, sometimes this can help break it free.

Last edited:

willell

Jul 25, 2012
Illinois
I apologize, the problem was the chain was bunched up under the cover of the engine. It didnt have enough tension on it so it came loose. The hardest part was getting the cover off.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you for the follow up on the problem you found. :)
I am glad to hear that you got it worked out!

Yes, those cheap screws can be a real pain in the rear end to remove. The metal they are made out of is too soft and the screw heads strip out easily.
They are one of the first things that should be replaced with quality screws.
Allen screws are recommended. An SBP hardware kit is highly recommended.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=43&osCsid=lu4bnho0lmtphca5igknj93hf6

GuyInNY

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
hey guys - i have this same problem. think the chain was too loose, got bundled up and twisted so i replaced it. i go to pop the clutch and i get nothing? i can feel a light grab, that's all though.

any ideas on what i should do?? .

thanks

~guy

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Two things come to mind.
1. The clutch cable is too tight and partially holding the clutch in a dis-engaged state.
Make sure that there is a teeny bit of free play in the clutch cable. You should be able to wiggle the release arm about 1/16" back and forth without heavy handing it.

2. If #1 does not help, there is a chance that the chain drive sprocket has slipped on the clutch/ transmission shaft, shearing the woodruff key that "locks" the sprocket to the shaft. You can either remove the sprocket with the special tool that comes with the kits and visually inspect the assembly, or remove the transmission cover on the right side of the engine and watch to see if the gears are in fact turning when the rear wheel is driving the engine over. If nothing it turning, the sprocket is slipping.

A last note, there is a chance that the clutch itself needs adjusting, but given the circumstances that you described, such an issue would have shown itself before the chain bound up.

GuyInNY

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
ok great - thanks a lot GearNut, really appreciate it. i will give it a go when i get home this evening and let you know what i find.

when she works i love her! much like the quote in your sig...lol

thanks again