Board tracker tank

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
What are the options for a board tracker tank?
I guess noone sells an off the shelf product that looks anything like the old Indian or Henderson tanks? (or other long skinny vintage looking tanks?)
I dont weld or even fabricate much - I have wrenching skills / basic mechanical skills.
If I asked my local engineer to make me up a tank, what sort of labour hours do you think would be involved?
I have done some fibreglassing before, what would be involved in making up a f/glass tank?

baslok

May 25, 2011
germany
if you have enough mony you can buy one from sportsmanflyer, he produce 2 different tanks
?: SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES :?

you can also look for some old fire extinguisher for a torpedo style tank!

i´m in the making of a tank out of cooper, you can solder them at home and need no special tools or knowleg!

sorry for my bad english

greetings from germany

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sportscarpat's tanks are made for just two frames that I'm aware of. One is the old Schwinn straightbar frame (Panther, etc.) and the other is for the Worksman NewsBoy. You'd need one of those frames unless you were going to build a frame around the dimensions of the tank. I don't know of anyone selling cylindrical tanks. I don't see why you couldn't make it any shape you want out of fiberglass. For someone to do a one off tank for you would be expensive. A lot of work and time goes in to making a tank whether it is of steel or copper, brass, or fiberglass. Not that it isn't worth the effort. It is.
SB

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Ive been having a look at Sportscar Pat's work...WOW !
It's hard to find any kind of bikes here in NZ with vintage frames, although we do have the motors, forks, whitewall tyres available locally.
Im thinking to ask about a pirate cycles worksman frame with a sportscarpat in frame fuel tank, to see if they will ship to New Zealand.
Would that be a good basis for a board tracker? The plan will be to source the forks, wheels, tyres, & motor locally.
Does this sound like a good plan?

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sounds like a good plan, but sounds like a dear plan. I find, to bring anything in from the States is extremely dear, and im talking seats or tyres, not a frame and a tank. And another member Whitey from Australia had some ordeal where i believe he ordered a frame but it wasnt allowed into the country, i think he was refunded the money but outta pocket the shipping. It was no fault of the frame builder but customs. Im not 100% sure so maybe if Whitey sees this he can give the right details.

This may be an extreme case and most likely wont happen to you, nor am i trying to talk you out of buying a Sportscarpat frame, if i were to buy one, i would buy one of them. But i think it would be quite dear, but then again so would getting someone to build one for you locally. Sportscarpats frames are obviously proven.

We in Australia would have the same bike choices as you guys have over there, its slim pickings. ..... So i guess if ya got the cash you should do like Nike says and "Just do it' lol

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
On the other hand you could try doing most of it yourself. Do you have an angle grinder? If so buy a locally sourced vintage bike, or a mountain bike. If you can get yourself some pipe, and a little sheet metal, you can cut the frame yourself, make a cardboard fuel tank, then transfer it to metal and cut it out, then get someone to do the welding for you and it shouldnt be that dear, or with the money you save go and buy a welder and do it yourself....... because i guarentee after you ride one youll want another. And if you have a welder and some other tools it aint that hard, it aint easy either lol.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks harry76, that's interesting about the frame not being allowed in. Wonder why they wouldnt let a frame in?
I bought a rear frame section for a Harley Sportser (hardtail section, basically the rear half of the bike) in from the US recently, no dramas, on my doorstep via USPS priority in about 10 days & the shipping wasnt all that expensive. I also know people who bought in complete frames for Harleys with quite reasonable shipping via Priority.
Yes, like you say, it would cost a lot to get someone to build me one of these frames (& a tank) so I think this could be a good way to go.
I guess I should ask our NZ customs if they let bicycle frames in.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It seemed odd to me too. It was something to do with motorized bikes being illegal here (i think, you should PM Whitey for details), even if this is the case, it aint illegal to own one, just to ride one on a public road, so i dont see why you cant just say its for shows or a private collection or to be used on private property, or raced. We should find out off Whitey, as i said it was no fault of the frame builder (cant remember who it was) and i dont wanna steer you away from Sportscarpat bikes because they are very nice. Just wanted you to be aware. Like you said just ask customs and see what they say.... good luck man, ill be watching out for a build thread from you

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
So what does that mean? Can you register one and ride them on the road legally? If so, thats awesome and im jealous, and i think they can do similar in some states in America....

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words on my tanks. The ordeal that Whitey and I went through was just the worst. We tried to keep shipping costs down so the motor was attached to the frame before shipping to Australia. Customs decided it was not a bicycle but a motorized vehicle, which is more difficult to get through customs. Lesson learned. There is no problem shipping bicycle parts, though, as I have done so since including even a frame. The motor bike related parts like gas tanks, etc. should be shipped separate. I feel for you guys down there as it just doesn't seem fair that shipping costs should be so high.
Pat

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Sounds like a good plan, but sounds like a dear plan. I find, to bring anything in from the States is extremely dear, and im talking seats or tyres, not a frame and a tank. And another member Whitey from Australia had some ordeal where i believe he ordered a frame but it wasnt allowed into the country, i think he was refunded the money but outta pocket the shipping. It was no fault of the frame builder but customs. Im not 100% sure so maybe if Whitey sees this he can give the right details.

Found it. I ordered a full sportsman flyer kit from Pat. It included all the parts (engine, wheels, tank...) The reason it was rejected by customs was that they thought that I would be using it out in public (of course) I had all the required documentation, signatures ect saying that I would be using it on private property. But that was not good enough.

Importing a frame is no problem. But is quite pricey as I have found. I got a special one off, lightly modified worksman frame from Pat. The total cost was close to $800 I had no worries with that

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
the shipping costs are painful. I will agree. Maybe next year I will be going to America for a gap year and I might come home with some goodies in my suitcase

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
What I would like, is a worksman frame, (like I see on the Pirate cycles site) & one of Pat's tanks. Shipped separately is fine. Im used to buying in big articles like this from the US, so no probs there, & I dont mind paying whatever the USPS priority costs are.
Im new here, so can I ask, do I pm sportscarpat? or just email the pirate cycles website email?