Panama jack failure!!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
I just got back from my beer run.
I had a blast. After exiting Waly World there were about 7 people round my MB taking pictures, and discusing how cool it was. I happily played 20 questions, and handed out my phone number to thouse interested in MB's and this website.
I road home, and looked at my MB with admeration. I decided to start wipping id down, and that is when the words " OH F#%K!!!" came out of my mouth, out loud, in english!!!

I found a full break in the frame, and a 3/4 crack on the otherside. I was one bump away from total failure, and a full blown crash!!!!

If you own a Panama Jack,,, PLEASE look these areas over for signs of stress.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am thinking cheap inferior Chinese steel had a role to play. Tubing too thin alloy not good enough. Was the frame oven baked at the factory correctly too. Notice how the metal is so brittle near a weld.

Last edited:

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
That's terrible. I have to remind myself constantly that these are just bicycles... with hot little exploding devils peddling as fast as they can for our enjoyment. Lots of MBer's used this Huffy to enginize. Hopefully this is a rare occurrence.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Agreed, These are just Bicycles. And this particular Huffy is awsome looking, with a cool name to boot. But the problem is the aluminum frame. I read some warnings about aluminum fames, but still could not resist the Panama Jack.
Everyone keep in mind, This might not happen to everyone, or anyone else. I am 6' 2", 80% muscle, and 240 lbs. Not a small person in anyones book. It just might be that the Panama Jack could not handle the engine, and me at the same time. Then there is the terrain in my area, bumpy to say the least. All things combined caused the failure.
My intension for posting this was to have everyone take a look and see if it was happening to thier Panama Jacks. At a minimum save someone from a crash. I hope this is a rare occurrence, and only happend to me.
As for my kids,,,, They are bummed for sure, but are excited to build the next one!!!!
Thanks for everyones simpathy,,, I am more concerned with others safety.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
I have a friend I contacted today. If anyone I know can save this frame,,,, it is him. All he wants is a 12 pack of beer, and ofcourse a ride on the MotorBike.
I'm good with that!
I'll post pics of the repair if it goes well.
A steal PJ.. I wish I had one.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
The weld is alway,s stronger than the metal it connect,s. You see it broke right under the weld. Not the best frame metal to start with. Sad out come regardless.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Off to the shop.
He called me today, and said it is ready for pickup!!!!!
All I have to do, is give it a good wipe down, and repaint the frame.
I have already found out that the flat black spray paint is a perfect match during the original build.
I'll ride it a little more gently from now on, and watch the bumps, AND give it a PRE and POST ride check. I like the MB tooooo much to give up on it.

I sure am glad I have a friend that would do it for me for next to nothing.

P.S. He actually only got a 10 pack!!!! LOL !!!!

Attachments

Bobaganoosh

Sep 26, 2010
seagraves texas
holy cow, i had no idea they were aluminum... good thing my next build is a 1962 schwinn. sorry about your bike and thanks for the warning, i'll be watching mine like a hawk now.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm guessing it had a lot too do with the rack being welded on there.

Use a magnet to tell if it's aluminum or steel.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Yep, All coments are valid.
-Band aid on a terminal patient
-Get a real frame

I agree. Starting out the cheap way was fun, but it is obvious if I want something more durable and reliable, I will have to make that investmnet.

One of the members here says it best in his signature
"Cheap bikes are not good. Good bikes are not cheap"

The PJ is ready for pick up, and I know it just has a band aid on it.
Thanks for your interest and info.

Last edited: