Opinion on how to approach the rear motor mount

GoldenMotor.com

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have had jb weld fail also.but proper use and application is key.
i used an epoxy putty to fix a cracked crankcase on my riding mower.
15 years ago.still holding.

blue loctite will hold the bolt,and still be removeable,red needs 450 degrees to release.
will also prevent galling and siezing.heat will also help release blue loctite.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I use loc titeon ever nut & bolton my engines, to many issues with thing vibrating loose most fasteners on cars trucks and motorcycles come from the factory with thread locker on nearly all fasteners now days, its not always necessary but its dang good insurance when it is, got stranded before because rear studs vibrated loose and out before I started using loctite on all the fasteners, one engine was even pitching the rear studs out with the blue so I put just a dab of red on them and haven't had to touch them again in three years, if I ever n ed to get them out it will be very easy to apply a little heat with a propane or map gas torch and they'll come right out.

A little indian head gasket shellac works to keep bolts from backing out also, did that way back in the day before I knew about loc tite.

Map

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I use blue loctite on all the fasteners that could vibrate loose namely the muffler and the mounts. The only time I had an issue with them vibrating loose was BEFORE i started to use it, even with double nutted mounts. After my muffler fell off during a ride and I was stuck waiting for it too cool off enough for me to handle it and then putting it back on in a VERY sketchy area I loctited it.

I check everything every few rides too, just to be safe. No issues.

Upgrade to the good bolts AND buy a tube of blue loctite you won't regret the couple of bucks you spend on it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
WallyWorld even has the generic loctite made by Permatex for a buck or two cheaper than the name brand stuff. Works just as good in my experience.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ive never heard of wallyworld lol weird since we live right next to eat other in dif states. Everybody talks about it like its a common place but non in maryland
Dang.....! I thought by now Wal Mart had moved in heavy in every state and run all the mom and pop places out of business like they have around where I live, not gonna start a wal mart debate here, but I will say that if you still have good family owned American businesses in your area be thankful, not many of them left where I am, Wal Mart ruined my small town in my opinion.

Map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Maybe he doesn't realize that wallyworld is slang for Walmart.
Yeah I considered that also, that's the reason I included WalMart in the post, didn't want to sound like I was being rude so I just added it along with a brief opinion of the place, figured if he didn't know what wally world was short for that would be enlightenment...LOL!

Map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Man.. What happens when the bolts break inside the case.. Can't replace engine :(
Lefthanded drill bit works good sometime or it will need to be drilled and then remove using a broken bolt/screw/stud extractor, it does take a little know how to use these tools but thats how you get it out if it's broken off below being flush.

Not that hard to do with the right tools and a little patience.

Map