read my spark plug

GoldenMotor.com

scottyskidoo

Jul 26, 2012
hampton va
So just got finished with my first build, Thought bike was running great but had a really high idle. Air/fuel screw on the cns v3 carb was all the way in and i couldent figure out why. Turns out the carb wasnt seated all the way and i was sucking air. So finally got that problem situated and tuned up the v3 carb so it wasnt tuned to the leak. Now i want to get a good reading on my plug. Also now im running with the air fuel screw pretty much all the way out so does that mean i need a smaller or larger main jet. Ive learned a lot from the posts here and its made my first build a positive one thanks guys. One more thing. Time to start buying goodies, what preformance mods should i consider?

Attachments

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Plug looks okay but I would toss that stock plug and get a ngk . The cns carb is hit or miss , some people can get them to run good some can't . The first thing I would upgrade is the plug then the carb and exhaust . If its not four stroking at full throttle I would say your main jet is good . Whats it doing that you have to turn the mixture screw so far out . have you checked the carb to make sure none of the jets are plugged .

scottyskidoo

Jul 26, 2012
hampton va
Nah hav'nt pulled the carb apart yet. Yeah i think its four stroking at wot, i can feel it break into a two stroke and accelerate then it changes pitch and gets sluggish. So what carb should i go with ive been reasearching and theres a lot of info out there. However i think i've got a handle on the v3. Really would only consider switching if there was a performance gain over a tuned v3. If i turn the mix screw in much more than a half turn it bogs and fourstrokes through the whole power band.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I would try a new plug first and see if it runs better . If it still four strokes at WOT then rejet it leaner on the main jet . You can also lower the needle in the carb to lean it a bit to see if that helps . If it were me replacing the carb my first choice would be a 16 mm mikuni . I run them on two of my bikes and they work good but are a bit pricey . Dax sells a copy of the delorto for a good price a lot of people are happy with that carb . Last option on carbs is a stock nt . Those are easy simple carbs to tune and work well .