legality and choosing engine displacement, torn?

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Hi motorbicyclists!
I am going to purchase a Raleigh front suspension bicycle from some guy for 50bux (I have a full susp. Raleigh now, as a coincidence the bike I am buying is a Raleigh)

Anyway to cut the minor details, I need to actually buy the bike, then buy a motor, 48-50cc is legal without licensing, but 66cc motors are so much more available and slightly more powerful.

Should I be a scof-law and just get the 66cc motor, I mean really, how much is a cop going to investigate my engine cid?
I am not a crazy bicyclist and do not attract too much heat, what are your opinions and experiences, thank you all.

PS, does this post violate the TOC?

PS again, opinion on this ebay find:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/380378811479?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Telling you to break the law would be wrong but in actuality a law enforcement officer would need to carry some very speciaized tools/equipment to varify the actual displacement of an engine. It's highly doubtful that any policeman will ever go that far. A lawyer would advise against it but he'd be looking at the potential for a court case involving injury. Not just a minor traffic offense.

Ride responsibly and don't bring attention to yourself and you'll be fine with the extra few cc.

Tom

Last edited:

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Toad

I don,t know where you are in Canada but read the thred on getting pulled over in BC.
under laws and ledisation on this fourm. What fasteddy and I stated is true.
Those are the facts!

POPS

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Thanks Tom, you convinced me, my rubber arm firmly twisted behind my back!

66cc it will be. It will make me extra happy!cvlt1
A slightly different route would be to use the 40cc Tanaka 2 stroke (which is also ultra low emission certified) on the GEBE kit. This simple setup was just as fast and on flat ground faster than all the 66cc bikes on the 70 mile San Diego ride I took it on.
Just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat, especially if you'd like to ever get a plate for it like Ive done. Getting stopped by a police officer now ends up with him checking my registration and Im on my merry way.

Good luck

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
I live in New Brunswick.
From what I have read concerned mainly Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
The cops seemed pretty easy going about the motorbicyclists they have stopped in those provinces.

Perhaps I am going to hold off on buying a motor for now, I will just get that $50.00 donor bike in my possession first,maybe. (Or get that credit card down)

I will look into that GEBE engine.

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I have a 49cc on my bike right now and registered it as a moped . The 49 cc engine has very clear I.D stamped in the engine. I just bought a 80/66cc kit and there is NO I.D anywhere. Just a sticker , very easily removed I might ad.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
You can buy a magneto cover with "49cc" engraved into it. That's good enough for just about anyone to think it is 49cc. The motor is small enough..
I think bikeberry.com sells it. Maybe some other places too. I think it fits any engine idk for sure though.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
No one is going to know it's really a 66cc. Besides, they don't have anywhere near the performance of most 50cc engines out there so it's not like anyone will be able to tell it's larger by its power. There are 30cc engines with twice the power as the that thing. I tell everyone that mine is a 49cc.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Toadmund I'm from N.B. myself. The last time i checked the laws on MBs was that if it is a bicycle it must be pedaled only. No motor assist whatsoever including electric. Unless you go off-road. Then you can do whatever you want. There is a clause though that if it looks like a bicycle it is. Not that you'll be able to hide the engine very well.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Then would it not be classified as a moped, not a bicycle?

I call them motorbicycles, or just pretty damn cool!

Seems the cops don't really care, just wear a helmet and don't run old ladies off the sidewalk, don't give them a reason to interrogate.

PS, I am a back road kind of guy anyway

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You're right "most" cops don't really care, or they don't know the law. Once in a while you will find SuperCop and you will be hit with a large fine and have your bike impounded.I believe mopeds have to be a certain weight before they actually are considered a moped.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
You're right "most" cops don't really care, or they don't know the law. Once in a while you will find SuperCop and you will be hit with a large fine and have your bike impounded.I believe mopeds have to be a certain weight before they actually are considered a moped.
Put rocks in your pocketsdance1

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ask your local police and our pals the R.C.M.P. They are the ones that will be throwing your bike in the trunk of their cruiser or more likely on the back of the tow truck when they impound it and hand you a ticket. As Mr Rockenstein said, ask a lawyer his opinion because you will need him if you go to court.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's done, ordered a 66cc.
If I get into trouble I will just blame 2door Tom and absolve myself of any wrongdoing.dance1
I was tricked, should not have told him about my rubber arm!
What? That wasn't me. It was someone using my name. I would never never never tell anyone to break the law. You must be mistaking.

That's what my lawyer said to say if anyone asked. "Deny, Deny Deny." His exact words.
:)

Tom

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
My guidelines for building are: predominant riding terrain, local legal requirements, rider and budget. Most places define a motorized bicycle as 50 cc or less. Here in Tennessee we also have a motor driven cycle category. There are lighting, braking, horn, registration, insurance and motorcycle license requirements. You're allowed 125 cc and 5 HP. Many scooters, pocket bikes and mopeds fall into this category but you can build bicycle in it as well.