Sprocket Adapter Innovation

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Oh no, not another sprocket adapter thread! Yep, one more. I have something really new that is in the flogging, I mean "testing" stages. These ideas come from real world experiences and the needs of the MB community. While racing my motorbikes I was faced with a serious issue, the lack of correct gearing and the ability to make changes as fast as possible without tearing half the bike apart to change a stupid sprocket. Getting some ideas from the kart guys who face this problem constantly, I caught on to the idea of quick change split sprockets. By splitting the sprocket you can easily remove two halfs without removing the wheel from the bike. If you know two sizes you plan to run then add a master link and small piece of chain. When you bump down to a smaller sprocket drop the small piece of chain. This system also works well for the guys who live in hilly terrain and want to make gearing changes quickly and easily.

Here is the system. On the left is my current three piece sprocket adapter, already a proven design with it's heavy duty construction and ease of installation. Next to it is the adapter plate that carries the split sprocket system. Next up is a 40t split sprocket and then a 44t split sprocket.

Sprocket Adapter Innovation by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is how the adapter plate mounts to the sprocket adapter. All bolts are counter sunk to properly locate the parts.

Here is a back view of the system. Sprockets can mount to the front or back of the adapter plate to minimize or maximize offset of the sprocket.

Here is a front view of the system showing 40t and 44t sprockets mounted both inboard and outboard of the adapter.

Finally, here is a picture showing various sprockets and configurations available with this system.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks for the comments, guys. I just have a few test units right now and will be finalizing details to sell them soon. I can cut any size sprocket until the chain drags on the ground. One thing about split sprockets is they are cut in even numbers so the split leaves two half sprockets with the same number of teeth. I have lots more cool stuff coming. I find if I can think of something and produce a CAD file I can build it. In this modern world machining and cutting seems to be just another way of printing a drawing. Well, it's harder than that, and more expensive, but you get the idea.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Pure genius! Top quality work! I love it!

What are the possibilities of making a split sprocket adapter for folks who use hubs with disc flanges or folks who use left side freewheels, dual threaded hubs?

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Pat, what is the maximum inner diameter that can be made for the 3 piece clamp ? I am trying to make a build using a Bendix 2 speed kick-back coaster hub which has a hub diameter of 2 inches.