Newbie for Omaha

GoldenMotor.com

Footie

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, Co
I just order 2 GRUBEE 2010 SkyHawk GT2B 48cc kits and cant wait to get them, thank the sun for cyber monday I think i got a good deal.

Anybody in or around the Omaha, NE area? I never seen anyone with one of these bike yet and they seem so cool, I hope they can hold a big guy,lol. Feel free to add me as a friend.

sorry in advance cuz I know in going to ask a lot of questions. Holla at me

Footie

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello Footie,
Welcome to the forum. I have some family in Omaha and once in a blue moon get down that way. I have no idea what the laws are in Nebraska and if there are other riders there. I believe one of our members is from Lincoln. Good luck with your projects. Feel free to ask questions. Usually there's someone with a good answer. I'd suggest also looking around on the forum, getting familiar with things. Do you know yet what bikes you intend to use?
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello from the West Coast of Canada, Footie and welcome aboard.
Not much help since my bike is electric but will be watching your build with interest. If you have a problem and no one here can help you, sell the bike because nobody can repair it.

Steve.

Footie

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, Co
Thanks for your help guys, Im not sure what kind of bike im going to use yet any suggestions? I want to get one that will go on with no extra work.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for your help guys, Im not sure what kind of bike im going to use yet any suggestions? I want to get one that will go one with no extra work.
The bottom line is that it should have a strong frame and wide tires. In my opinion. What kind of bikes did you ride as a kid, or now if you still pedal bike? Some people like Mountain bikes. I think cruisers make the best motorbicycles and probably most of the builds here are cruisers, but certainly not all. It depends too, on what you want the bike for. Is it to tool around the neighborhood on nice days, not going real far? Is it to be alternative transportation going to and from work, picking up groceries, etc? Are you a speed freak looking to go as fast as possible on a bike? Or is your interest more in a dependable ride in different riding conditions? Is it pretty much flat where you intend to ride or are there some serious hills? How big a guy are you? The bike should fit you well enough to be comfortable. So, I would suggest not jumping too quickly on finding the bike, but first getting a better idea of what to look for. Generally speaking you can get a better quality used bike on Craigslist or in your local paper than a shiny new one at a chain store. I hope this gives you some things to think about.
SB

Footie

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, Co
OK, thanks, Ill probably just use it for fun in the summer seeing how winter suck in omaha, but i do plan to use it as much as I can. I think i like the beach cruiser over the mountain bike. The cruiser just seems more comfortable. thanks a lot

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cruisers are comfortable. I'd spend a little time looking things over here and see what appeals to you. Omaha and Council Bluffs should give you a wealth of old cruisers to pick from if you want to go that route. if you do go for a brand new bike from a chain store then Schwinn is probably a good choice. They are made in China now and don't compare at all in quality to the old Chicago made Schwinns, but among the department store bikes, they seem to be a bit better than the average. My own preference is for an older, Chicago made Schwinn, but that means more work in fixing it up unless you can find an older one in great condition, which you might. Huffy bikes are everywhere, but the new ones are pretty poorly made with very cheap components. Don't want to see you getting hurt on your motorbike as that sure does spoil the fun. Good luck and safe riding. If you need help, somebody here will pitch in. By the way, 2.125 inch wide rims are safer and more comfortable than skinnier tires.
SB

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Hi Footie, welcome to the forum....I'm one of the guys from Lincoln, and probably one of the oldest members of the forum at 73. There are a bunch of great guys here with unlimited experience and more than glad to help with any of your problems and questions. Sure glad there are other members in the midwest. Sometimes I think I'm the lone wolf out here.
Nebraska laws are no more than 35cc motor, and speed limit to 30 mph. They call it a motorized bicycle assist engine, its pretty laid back for a motor bike law. Of course all bicycle rider laws apply... the few times I've been stopped they are more interested in the bike than anything else.
I hope they get the bike trail finished between Omaha and Lincoln finished before I'm too old to ride!
You'll enjoy it here.
buzzard

Footie

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, Co
Thanks Buzzard my girl friend from Lincoln I come down all the time, ill be getting at you for sure.

So is Schwinn the best way to go if you go to a department store?

joshmcd

Jun 3, 2012
council bluffs
I just order 2 GRUBEE 2010 SkyHawk GT2B 48cc kits and cant wait to get them, thank the sun for cyber monday I think i got a good deal.

Anybody in or around the Omaha, NE area? I never seen anyone with one of these bike yet and they seem so cool, I hope they can hold a big guy,lol. Feel free to add me as a friend.

sorry in advance cuz I know in going to ask a lot of questions. Holla at me

Footie
im in cb i just got one of these bikes drive it to work everyday goin down abbott drive and hit 40 have superb gas mileage one peice of advice watch for potholes and make sure you tighten nuts and bolts after a hard ride.