60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
60 mph isn't that fast...This bike will handle it fine. DV will be wearing full protective gear.

It will probably be set-up to have a max speed of 40 mph for the customer. He will have awesome acceleration when pulling out of corners.

For our top speed test, we will use a 30-32T rear sprocket.

Get the engine to make 5-6 hp at 10,000 rpm and 60mph should be a breeze.

Hawaii Ed's signature shows his bike, a trek with a 66cc and an SBP shift kit...57mph top speed.

I'm making parts for customers, so progress on this project will not be daily. As soon as I finish the crank balancing "how to" I'll post it up.

Charged...the speed run will be at a 1/4 mile track, not on city streets.

Jim

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Pablo...there will be no road pizza on my watch! I've been doing this kind of thing for far too long for any sort of disaster to come from this build.

Read through the thread some...you might enjoy it!

Jim
Wow - I did just that. Read the whole thing. I had given up at page 3 or something and just posted to get the short crib notes or the link to hospital photos (hey that's NOT funny).

Turns out this is an awesome thread. Subscribed!! Carry on.

PS Sorry about the road pizza mental image.

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I have seen bicycles do 60MPH. I lived for many years in Enumclow WA. That's in the foot hills of Mt Rainier. There was a yearly race up to Paradise, in Mt Rainier Park. Those bikes just crawled uphill, but comming down they were sometimes puller over and ticketed by state police for exceeding the 55MPH limit! I have been passed by bikes while doing almost 60 and they were going faster than I was.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
alright,alright i think the title should say 70 MPH...JIM GOES FOR THE GOLD!!!-lol!!! jim your probably gonna just have to do 100 to quiet everyone down once and for all-lol!!

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
alright,alright i think the title should say 70 MPH...JIM GOES FOR THE GOLD!!!-lol!!!!
I would bet with a streamlined bullet at Bonneville 70 could be done, with a china girl engine, but not an upright bike in a 1/4 mile.

I am wondering if those kevlar belted tires Jim is using will hold 100psi. I would almost be tempted to use skinny road bike tires. Also Jim, I wonder if you want those fenders.

Rod S

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
It would seem to me that, as with most threads, if someone has a pic that relates to the thread at hand in a direct manner, then it would be o.k. To just post a pic with one line that doesn't explain anything or even seem to be related to the thread is only contributing to ones post count, instead of contributing to the thread so to speak.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
So, how about an update Jim?
I was really busy this week making a big batch of the new motor mount design...although there is a lot of interest in this thread/project, there is an even greater interest in the motor mounts so I kinda have to budget my time so that I don't end up with a bunch of irate customers.;)

Today and tomorrow I should be able to get the next post done.

DV's father passed away recently...he will be visiting family and friends for the next 10 days.

We are planning on having this bike ready at the end of the month.

Jim

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I am sure I speak for every member of this forum. Our hearts go out to DV in his time of sorrow. Please convey our condolences to him and his family. They are in our hearts an prayers. God Bless.

Take all the time you need.

Respectfully,

Douglas A. Goldner

fattboy

Jan 14, 2010
Los Angeles County
I am sure I speak for every member of this forum. Our hearts go out to DV in his time of sorrow. Please convey our condolences to him and his family. They are in our hearts an prayers. God Bless.

Take all the time you need.

Respectfully,

Douglas A. Goldner
Well said DAG. I echo your thoughts and condolences to DV and his family.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
jim I'm verry happy about the pinned and balanced bottom ends!! good luck on this adventure... 60 is a tough number but with time it will happen and all the work you are doing to the bike had my first motor melt down yesterday and slammed a half a piston ring through my protohead dang i like that head better than the new one but like i said I run vp not pump gas and jim if you can stay away from the crowded bearing lower crank the caged style is much better i think i lost a few needles out of that crank yesterday

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
jim I'm verry happy about the pinned and balanced bottom ends!! good luck on this adventure... 60 is a tough number but with time it will happen and all the work you are doing to the bike had my first motor melt down yesterday and slammed a half a piston ring through my protohead dang i like that head better than the new one but like i said I run vp not pump gas and jim if you can stay away from the crowded bearing lower crank the caged style is much better i think i lost a few needles out of that crank yesterday
I expect the engine will be smooth and a lot more powerfull after these machining ops.

I still have the CNC program for the high comp heads. I can run one in the next batch since you are already tuned for that compression ratio. I plan on using the same one and Sunoco 110.

I have yet to find a crank with loose needles in the big end...they have all had the standard cage type. 3 PK's, 4 Grubees, and numerous others of unknown origin...all caged.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.