A governor, or speed limiter,

GoldenMotor.com

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
I would like to put a governor, or speed limiter, on my engine does anyone have any good idea's how to make A governor, or speed limiter. Wish it could be a switch. The only other way I could come up with is inside the throttle linkage like a nylon bushing. What is your idea?

.duh.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello there,
I have no idea to help you with. Why not just give it less gas at the throttle? What kind of motor are you using? I'm just curious why you want to go slower. It is kind of refreshing in a way, since almost everybody here wants to go faster. For myself I'm pretty happy going 20-25mph and approaching an incline to goose it to 30 to help make it up to the top without peddling. If I couldn't give it full throttle I wouldn't make it up the hills around here.
Silverbear

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
A rev limiter of some sort, either ignition or gas, wouldn't help over-revving due to going down a steep hill. Which is more likely to hurt the engine due to running lean at low throttle. And there isn't really much you can do about it besides be careful to pull in the clutch coasting down hill.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I'll bet someone could come up with a circuit to interfere with the signal to the CDI at a certain RPM, sort of how rev limiters work on cars. You hit a pre-set RPM and it scrambles the signal to the CDI until your RPMs drop back down below the limit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes it is, if I am going to fast I may pass a brewery and may not be able to stop.
That got a giggle from me....thanks. Back to your question; you could adjust your throttle cable so that it would not pull the slide as far. That would be simple but not as convenient as your idea of a switch. Obviously it would require an adjustment whenever the youngsters would ride. Possibly there are some electronic gurus out there who could design such a thing as a rev limiter for a Chinese 2 stroke...but it ain't me. I suppose if I were faced with your problem I'd look at designing a manual device to attach to the twist grip throttle to limit how far it could be twisted. It could be easily attached and removed at your preference. Just my thoughts.
Tom

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Cheers everyone now off to slumberland along with the swill my braincells are stroming on all kinds of ideas. Remember this stouts for you, or it was till I drank it, sorry.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Problem with limiting your throttle is you'd lose power everywhere, you'd cripple your low and mid range which you need to climb hills or take off. By limiting the RPM though the CDI signal you'd still have all the power just no top end speed.

Bet my buddy over at Michigan State could come up with something but that would mean giving up my engine and that ain't happening 'till winter. lol

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
No, not a drinker I had to stop that, people waiting in the car. I am a guzzler. my signature should say there is no beer safe around these lips aahhhhhhhhhhh.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
My understanding is that they put choke plates in the intake manifold below the carb. in taxies in Chicago in the 30s - 40s. Somebody was saying they would get on a high hill get up as much speed as possible, push in the clutch and let gravity do its thing, then pop the clutch to suck the thin metal plate into the manifold ( and no further ? ). So the suggestion is an intake gasket with a small hole?

Jim

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Here's an idea...

Please excuse the crudity of my drawing. It's late and I'm tired...

Take your throttle apart (just the cover that clamps it to the bar) and you'll see the guide that the cable goes into. Somewhere past where the cable connects drill a hole through the throttle side to side. Then insert a pin through there (use something thick like a piece of wire hanger.

Locate a spot along the lower housing that you can drill a hole and insert a screw so that when the throttle is rotated, the pin will hit the screw and prevent the throttle from turning further.

Take the screw out when you wish to drive unlimited.

Disclaimer...I just thought this up and have NOT tried this myself...though if my 15 year old goes screaming past the cops one more time I might just consider it!

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here's an idea...

Take your throttle apart (just the cover that clamps it to the bar) and you'll see the guide that the cable goes into. Somewhere past where the cable connects drill a hole through the throttle side to side. Then insert a pin through there (use something thick like a piece of wire hanger.

Locate a spot along the lower housing that you can drill a hole and insert a screw so that when the throttle is rotated, the pin will hit the screw and prevent the throttle from turning further.

Disclaimer...I just thought this up and have NOT tried this myself...though if my 15 year old goes screaming past the cops one more time I might just consider it!
That is a cool thought AM. Really, that will work.

I was going to suggest a big 'ol rear sprocket as a thought. But then you have a slow but great hill climber.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
"AslansMonkey Speed Limiter" -Patent Pending-

Great Idea, You could use a knurled thumbscrew with a e clip on the inside to keep it from vibrating out.

Here's an idea...

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Or simply remove the ring on the cable adjust on top of carb. Slide will now only go part way up.

Flameout

Oct 23, 2008
Chicago
Or put right sized ball bearing on top of slide in carb and put cap back on. That would
limit the upward motion of the slide.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Here's an idea...

Take the screw out when you wish to drive unlimited

The throttle stop screw was common on all of the British bikes from the 50"s
and into the 70's. There is a adjustable screw and lock nut to limit the amount
of throttle position at wide open throttle