XL Schwinn Stingray Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

Charles8102

Dec 4, 2010
Havelock, NC
I recently bought an XL chopper and i wanted to put a lifan 110 or 125cc engine on it. But after going to the local ATV store today to look for a possible rear wheel & tire upgrade & ask questions about motors. The guy at the store told me that i should just get a 50cc motor because it offers the same speed as a 110cc. Is that true? As well he said a 125cc will only offer 30-35mph period (not sure if he understood when I told him i was mounting it on XL Schwin Stingray Chopper bicycle, which he said he was familiair with) is that true? What he said has me 2nd guesing getting a 125cc. Which sucks because ive done a bit of research on 110 & 125cc motors. Any help would be great usflg

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Charles, you can get the 125cc semi-automatic engine, however I'd suggest that you stick with the 50cc.

Why go with the 50cc as opposed to the 125cc, well for one you'll probably destroy several rear wheels unless you use a rear wheel from a mini 50cc/110cc kids dirtbike. Regular bicycle wheels just can't handle the torque coming from these Honda Monkey Bike chinese cloned horizontal engines.

You might want to do a search for the Kikker Hardknock Bobber wheels, the rear wheel is 15" and the front wheel is 18".

I myself am contemplating using these same wheels, as the are surprisingly close in size to the Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper rear wheel, here's a pic of my bobber. If you use these wheels you'll also have to have the axle slots widened as this axle is approximately 1". And the tires are speed rated as well.

If you get the semi-automatic you can add a suicide shift, remember semi-automatic means no manual clutch, this is my 110cc bobber semi-automatic pictured below.

Just take your time and do as much research as possible before you start your build.

See two other forum members builds using this type of engine, they are Civlized, and i-paint, both have way more experience with these builds than do I.

Here's the link to Civlized, when his profile page opens click on the Statistics it will show all his Post's & Thread's here in the forum. Then just click on the ones you want to read that are related to this style build.
http://motorbicycling.com/members/civlized/

Here's the Link to i-paint, when his profile page opens click on the Statistics it will show all his Post's & Thread's here in the forum. Then just click on the ones you want to read that are related to this style build.
http://motorbicycling.com/members/i-paint/

As for the color of the engine, you can use high heat paint that is specifically made to paint engines.

Hope this helps!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I recently bought an XL chopper and i wanted to put a lifan 110 or 125cc engine on it. But after going to the local ATV store today to look for a possible rear wheel & tire upgrade & ask questions about motors. The guy at the store told me that i should just get a 50cc motor because it offers the same speed as a 110cc. Is that true? As well he said a 125cc will only offer 30-35mph period (not sure if he understood when I told him i was mounting it on XL Schwin Stingray Chopper bicycle, which he said he was familiair with) is that true? What he said has me 2nd guesing getting a 125cc. Which sucks because ive done a bit of research on 110 & 125cc motors. Any help would be great usflg
Charles, you can get the 125cc semi-automatic engine, however I'd suggest that you stick with the 50cc.

Why go with the 50cc as opposed to the 125cc, well for one you'll probably destroy several rear wheels unless you use a rear wheel from a mini 50cc/110cc kids dirtbike. Regular bicycle wheels just can't handle the torque coming from these Honda Monkey Bike chinese cloned horizontal engines.

You might want to do a search for the Kikker Hardknock Bobber wheels, the rear wheel is 15" and the front wheel is 18".

I myself am contemplating using these same wheels, as the are surprisingly close in size to the Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper rear wheel, here's a pic of my bobber. If you use these wheels you'll also have to have the axle slots widened as this axle is approximately 1". And the tires are speed rated as well.

If you get the semi-automatic you can add a suicide shift, remember semi-automatic means no manual clutch, this is my 110cc bobber semi-automatic pictured below.

Just take your time and do as much research as possible before you start your build.

See two other forum members builds using this type of engine, they are Civlized, and i-paint, both have way more experience with these builds than do I.

Here's the link to Civlized, when his profile page opens click on the Statistics it will show all his Post's & Thread's here in the forum. Then just click on the ones you want to read that are related to this style build.
http://motorbicycling.com/members/civlized/

Here's the Link to i-paint, when his profile page opens click on the Statistics it will show all his Post's & Thread's here in the forum. Then just click on the ones you want to read that are related to this style build.
http://motorbicycling.com/members/i-paint/

As for the color of the engine, you can use high heat paint that is specifically made to paint engines.

Hope this helps!

Peace Crazy Horse.
damn, i like that.
Charles, anything new how's your build going?

EDWEIRD, did you see something you liked?

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

Charles8102

Dec 4, 2010
Havelock, NC
Im still working on getting everything together Crazy Horse. I decided to go w/ 125cc (i know over kill & i may be asking for more problems than i bargain for) ya only live once though. Got welder (and needed accesories), motor, going to buy skid plate, I still need a gas tank as well & something to hold oil. Going to ACE to find some metal to help add security to some of the weaker joints as well as more support for the motor & rear tire which i havent gotten either (not going to worry about leaving on bicycle chain or pedals). Found a guy who does powder coating in my area, $120 give or take for (flat black or satind black). I dont know yet i may still paint it myself

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Charles, you could also order a cradle engine mount from Pccmotor.com see on their website frame section, you could then weld this cradle mount to your occ chopper frame.

Peace..shft.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Im still working on getting everything together Joe. I decided to go w/ 125cc (i know over kill & i may be asking for more problems than i bargain for) ya only live once though. Got welder (and needed accesories), motor, going to buy skid plate, I still need a gas tank as well & something to hold oil. Going to ACE to find some metal to help add security to some of the weaker joints as well as more support for the motor & rear tire which i havent gotten either (not going to worry about leaving on bicycle chain or pedals). Found a guy who does powder coating in my area, $120 give or take for (flat black or satind black). I dont know yet i may still paint it myself

Charles, powder coat its the only way to go, as for the cradle engine mount check with them to make sure it'll work with a horizontal honda crf type engine. If they say yes it's ok then I'd get this mount. Make sure you mount the engine to the cradle then sit in the bicycle frame and line up your motor drive sprocket with left side rear wheel sprocket prior to just welding it in place.

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

Charles8102

Dec 4, 2010
Havelock, NC
Update to my Stingray Chopper build.

Getting it ready

And we begin. Got 125cc motor in today

Still have a lot of work. Pipes & handle bars have lots of rust, need to paint (not sure if i want to go w/ the flat olive green, flat or satin black, still need to weld.

Last edited: