Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

RAW engine, having issues starting. Carb replaced. No spark? Please help!

Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: RAW engine, having issues starting. Carb replaced. No spark? Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
no soldering needed - cap just screws onto wire - same with wire screwing into CDI, except that some new ones are glued so you have to dig out the glued part first
Ah, so I can get a new boot and just screw it in?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: RAW engine, having issues starting. Carb replaced. No spark? Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawRawRaw View Post
Got it. Well, I'm gonna get a new boot for spark plug and solder it into the old wire.

Temp fix is just sticking the wire directly into the spark plug, lol.

Not sure how the cable is glued into the CDI or what not, I was thinking just cutting it and splicing a new boot on - objections?
No, you can't splice a spark plug wire. If you're going to replace it you'll have to get the old one out of the CDI. Most new ones are super glued in and it takes some work to get them out. Be careful and don't damage the threaded contact in the CDI that screws into the core (conductor) of the new wire.

Tom
Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Here's a wiring diagram

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawRawRaw View Post
Ah, so I can get a new boot and just screw it in?
yep, the new cap will just screw onto the old wire - I note your wire may be messed up from being stuck on the plug, so be sure you can see the copper wire inside & hit it with the screw in the new cap (trim the rubber back a 1/4 inch or so to be sure you see the copper)
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks biknit, that's helpful, you should add the engine to it too!

Got it. Sounds like it's easier to screw a good boot into the wire than trying to get the wire out of the CDI, right?

The bike was running fine for 2 days (~6 miles?) and today it just died. Get's spark when I take the plug out so my ghetto fix is working. I had the petcock open all the way from the fuel line, and the previous owner warned me against that claiming 'this engine floods a lot'

i took off the carb, opened the bowl, a little fuel leaked out, took out the spark plug, hopefully it will evaporate overnight, if it's flooded.

any advice regarding this issue?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM

It's pretty easy to dig out the glue around the spark plug wire so you can unscrew it out of the CDI box. You just need a very small screwdriver. Not only is the stock plug cap a pos, but the spark plug wire itself is crap also.

I buy copper core wire by the foot, and an NGK cap at my local motorcycle shop.

If you carb leaks, it may be at an angle on the manifold. Try lowering the fuel level in the float bowl slightly, by bending the brass float arms.

Always turn the pstcock off when the motor is not running.