motor registration in texas

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I too live in Texas. I was told by a State Trooper that I was legal. I was told by a city cop that I was illegal. How does a guy know what to do? I just act like I'm peddaling all the time. If I see a city cop I just hit the kill switch and pedal......................

stingray'04rider

Jul 3, 2010
garland, texas
I too live in Texas. I was told by a State Trooper that I was legal. I was told by a city cop that I was illegal. How does a guy know what to do? I just act like I'm peddaling all the time. If I see a city cop I just hit the kill switch and pedal......................
you see....they don't know. I say we band together, as Americans, for what we believe in (motorized bicycles, whether electric or gas or anything else) and get some laws changed and some laws added!

(july 4th is getting to me........)

but seriously, if we want to, we have to do something. we can't just sit around waiting for change. personally, i think there's enough of us to change something.

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
I have been looking at Texas laws, I even discussed it with a attorney. this is the key.

TTC 2301.005
(23) "Motor vehicle" means: (A) a FULLY SELF PROPELLED VEHICLE having two or more wheels that has as its primary purpose the transport of a person or persons, or property, on a public highway;

If you can start it and ride off without pedaling it's a moped. Only a Electric bike is allowed to be operated exclusively on motor power.

(24) "Electric bicycle" means a bicycle that:
(A) is designed to be propelled by an electric
motor, exclusively or in combination with the application of human
power.

My solution is to use a shift kit, after the bike is moving I can shift to a low gear so the freewheel is moving faster than the pedals and all my energy can be used to kick start the motor as opposed to trying to turn the rear wheel and the motor.

The downside is somebody has to get a ticket and win in court so we have a ruling in our favor.

Lonnie McVaigh

Aug 10, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have been doing some research here in Texas and Live in Corpus Christi. I called the Texas State Public Safety Office and really pushed for clearification regarding the Texas requirements for bicycles with engines to be registered, inspected and the operators licensing requirements.

Perception and discreption is given to local agencies and their Governing Boards to make ordinances. That maybe why I read in this string about the local Cops being a bit more picky. I found some interesting tidbits in my research to share that I have verified by phone.

YOU BASICALLY CAN BE PERCIEVED AS OPERATING IN TEXAS:

A Moped

Moped Defintion
A motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is not more than 30 miles per hour and that is equipped with a motor that produces not more than two-brake horsepower. If an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power drive system may not require the operator to shift gears.

Moped License requirements
A moped operator’s license is required for operators of mopeds. A person must be at least fifteen (15) years old to be issued a license to operate a moped. The department shall examine applicants for that type of license by administering to them a written examination concerning traffic laws applicable to the operation of mopeds. No test involving the operation of the vehicle is required. All applicable provisions of this Act governing restricted operator’s licenses for the operation of motorcycles only also apply to moped operator’s licenses, including provisions relating to the application, issuance, duration, suspension, and cancellation of those licenses.

Helmet Laws
Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:

have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course
OR are covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding upon a motorcycle.
Additional helmet safety information for the state of Texas can be found at Texas DPS

Moped Title Registration
Mopeds and motorcycles are required to be registered in Texas. The annual registration fee for mopeds and motorcycles is $30.30.Registration and a title are required to obtain insurance.

After purchasing a moped, when you file the title application, you must pay the motor vehicle sales tax, which is 6.25 percent of the purchase price.You must also provide proof of liability insurance when you title and/or register your vehicle, so take your insurance card.

If you build your Motorized bike and it is above 40 cc's you can file an Affidavit to Verify Requirements for Moped Classification. Availible on the Tx site... Lots, I mean lots of more rules and stips to make it very hard to DIY and favors towards the Big Business community. But if you keep it below 40cc's... and nowdays they sure can squeeze a lot of horsepower into those littler engines read on...

OR

A Motor Assisted Scooter

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 281, Sec. 2.87, eff. June 14, 2005.

SUBCHAPTER E. MOTOR-ASSISTED SCOOTERS

Sec. 551.351. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "motor-assisted scooter" means a self-propelled device with:

(1) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation;

(2) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions;

(3) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters;

(4) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and

(5) the ability to be propelled by human power alone.

I am still looking for a 40 cc or less kit in a 4 stroke that is available...

God Bless the USA, Lonnie McVaigh