muffler in the way

GoldenMotor.com

Beetle Juice

Jun 6, 2009
north carolina
I am going to have to cut my muffler I have heated it and it is still in the way I am going to have to run it in a Poo Poo style I think Please give me feed back with pic on where I can get the pipe to repair it I see the headers listed and they have copper fittings how do yo weld copper to steel just joking I just need some type of feed back I hope this is the last thing beside breaking the drive chain to fit Thanks all for you past help Beetle Juice:-||

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
If your muffler is still intact you should be able to keep bending it until you get it to a point where it works. I usually take 4 or 5 tries at it before I get the muffler where I want it. A poo-poo pipe will need adjusted also. There is no such thing as "one size fits all" with these bikes! Good luck!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I am going to have to cut my muffler I have heated it and it is still in the way I am going to have to run it in a Poo Poo style I think Please give me feed back with pic on where I can get the pipe to repair it I see the headers listed and they have copper fittings how do yo weld copper to steel just joking I just need some type of feed back I hope this is the last thing beside breaking the drive chain to fit Thanks all for you past help Beetle Juice:-||
If you need to put a slight bend in your stock exhaust, I will give you a great tip on how to hold it down when you bend it.
Use an old piece of steel plate, channel Iron, anything you have laying around. Drill the hole pattern that fits your muffler in it. Bolt it down solid with a couple 6 mm or 1/4" bolts. Clamp that in the vise and bend away, That way you can give it a little bend without it pulling out if the vise.

John

Attachments

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Thanks Fin fan where did you get that kick _ss helment and goggles
That's not me. It is the "Gyro-Captain" from the second Mad Max movie.

I generally clamp the flange from the muffler assembly in my vise and use that to hold one end still while I heat the pipe and try to shape it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you need to put a slight bend in your stock exhaust, I will give you a great tip on how to hold it down when you bend it.
Use an old piece of steel plate, channel Iron, anything you have laying around. Drill the hole pattern that fits your muffler in it. Bolt it down solid with a couple 6 mm or 1/4" bolts. Clamp that in the vise and bend away, That way you can give it a little bend without it pulling out if the vise.

John
Good idea, John. I put two 1/4" bolts in the vice, really tightened it and that worked too.

Beetle,
You can weld, (solder) copper to steel. If you know anyone in the air conditioning trade they use a product called, Silv-Aloy. That's a brand name, there are others. It is a high temperature solder alloy used in refrigeration piping. It is a type of silver solder that takes high heat to use and some practice to master. You'll need an oxy-acetylene torch or one called a Turbo-Torch to achieve enough heat to flow the stuff and it requires a special flux. A good air conditioning guy will have some on his service truck and if you offer him a beer he might do that soldering job for you. Plumbers don't typically use it but air conditioning / refrigeration people do. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
they sell a muffler adapter(it looks like a 1" thick gasket made out of aluminum). you could make one yourself. on mine im going to use a 1/2" gasket to move muffler away from my peddals and the muffler will tuck right next to frame.

Beetle Juice

Jun 6, 2009
north carolina
]Hello all Beetle Juice Happy thanks to all you who replied to my question's You all helped me greatly to make the right decisions. I use to build experimental airplane the one's you actually fly and ultralight's and still will when i run across another. But I ordered 2 motors and Monday of next week I will start my second build. I have enclosed my muffler repair that cost me 10.00 the welder did a great job I think so riding I will go tomorrow I have ridden for about 30 minutes now I will check the bolts.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beetle,
That first picture threw me. When I looked at it I thought, "Wow, that's some exhaust pipe!" The I realized what I was looking at. It's a p***er to get old and loose your eyesight.
Tom

Beetle Juice

Jun 6, 2009
north carolina
2 door I had to go back and look at the pic again myself and I see what you mean that is my shop vac in the back ground I got a good laugh at you reply also Thanks Beetle Juice

mackie4

Aug 6, 2009
Santa Rosa,Cal
they sell a muffler adapter(it looks like a 1" thick gasket made out of aluminum). you could make one yourself. on mine im going to use a 1/2" gasket to move muffler away from my peddals and the muffler will tuck right next to frame.
where do you order this 1" exhaust adapter. I need to move out about a 1/2", but it could work also. Thanks in advance....

all_thumbs

Aug 3, 2009
sanford, fl
I have ran into a similar issue with one of my builds and ended up cutting the muffler, so I now have a very loud bike. Does anyone sell shorter mufflers?

mackie4

Aug 6, 2009
Santa Rosa,Cal
Cabinfever1977 said " they sell about a 1" aluminum adaptor between the muffler and manafold" I have been looking for this item for some time now, and can not find anyone that sells it...
could someone please send me to the right place to buy this item? Thanks, Mackie4

cptsparkle

Sep 9, 2009
California
Beetle Juice, you are scaring me my friend. I'm picking up two Schwinn Landmarks this coming Saturday morning and already have the motors sitting in the garage. If I understand this paragraph, you had to modify the mufflers to fit the Landmark? I was hoping for an easy build for my first two builds. Oh well, I guess ya gotta learn the hard way first in order to appreciate the easy way.

Wayne

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the muffler does fit on my schwinn del mar , which is the same as the landmark i think.
and it need no modification or anything and im using just a thin regular gasket too.
I did have to tilt my motor til the muffler fit tight up against the frame and strapped it to the frame. my motor is raised a few inches on the frame cause i have a cent clutch and pullstart and need the peddals to clear the sides of the engine. i also changed the peddles to ones with shorter crank arms.

i would guess that if u have a reg engine and hav it low on the frame that the fat part of the muffler should be below the frame(u might have to bend the muffler pipe slightly) but i dont know cause mine is mounted higher.

Last edited:

daviddabikeist

Jul 11, 2009
australia
hi im not to sure if this will help but if u have one of those square mufflers (commonly found part on weed eaters) i used it to adapt to the mount. i bought a steel plate drilled two holes identical to the mufflers two swrews holding it and and welded that onto my bike frame works fine and oh a spring or turnbuckle for extra pressure its madd only problem is mottor got fed up byond reapir...