My next problem and I need some advice

GoldenMotor.com

tascott

Jun 6, 2009
Virginia
Well I got the threads out of the motor and now I am seeing that the space will not allow anything to fit. I have room but not for the carb, and I'm thinking that with this angle the motor will throw the chain off or make the rest of my mounting difficult. Also the drilled holes for the water bottle are interfering with the bracket mounting flush as well as the tube being too fat so I have to use the front mounting bracket but doing so makes the spark plug come too close to the top of the frame... Any thoughts?

Attachments

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
It looks very similar to the slight problem I had. (i was meaning to go back and edit my post about my glacier point in your other thread this saves me the trouble LOL) I couldn't get my spark plug tool on without having the motor at slight angle. It ran fine at sight angle. Not guaranteeing yours will. I bought a stubby NGK BPM7A Spark Plug. I could straighten out the motor and just barley get the plug tool on. I got a slanthead to fix that. As a bonus more power! I checked for leaks after 10 miles. I have put about 20 more on it, I want to check again.

My carb is also the same way its seems to be running fine. But I'm sure its not running at peak performance. I may eventually get a couple a intake manifold and cut them to make a slight bend and take it in to a weld shop. I still trying to work out what to do about that.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i had the same problem with my old bike,i had to notch the frame above the sparkplug and behind and above the carb plus i couldnt use the airfilter.
you etiher get another bike like i did or get a short plug and use a pantyhose in place of the filter housing.

i looked at your pics and it looks like you have just enough room,maybe you just need a straight intake pipe.

Last edited:

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
tascott....i had similar problems...had to go with a slant head...shortened my intake and drilled a small hole on my top tube for my trootle...now everything is great...ha...Dennis

Attachments

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Have access to a wire feed welder? The tube is steel from a junk import car heater hose transfer tube. The thinner tube makes for alot bigger inside diameter and better flow.

P1010131.JPG

REG1951

Jun 26, 2009
centralia,illinois
Am Having The Same Problem With A Bike Am Building Now,have The Slant Head Engine In Place But Not Enough Room For The Carb...saw A Posting Here A While Back That Had A Intake That Bent Out To The Side,and Was A Little Longer To Clear The Top Beam

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Am Having The Same Problem With A Bike Am Building Now,have The Slant Head Engine In Place But Not Enough Room For The Carb...saw A Posting Here A While Back That Had A Intake That Bent Out To The Side,and Was A Little Longer To Clear The Top Beam
here is a place to pic up short sections of tubing...reasonable...metalsdepot.com...they will sell and ship 2ft sections...i bought exactly the same size intake tubing here...good luck...Dennis

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maybe I'm missing something here guys, but looking at drhofferber's bike I have to ask why are you mounting the engine so high in the frame? If it were lower, closer to the crank you'd have sufficient clearance for the plug and carb. Also your chain wouldn't be at such a sever angle. The lower the motor, the better for weight distribution and balance also. Just wondering.
Tom

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something here guys, but looking at drhofferber's bike I have to ask why are you mounting the engine so high in the frame? If it were lower, closer to the crank you'd have sufficient clearance for the plug and carb. Also your chain wouldn't be at such a sever angle. The lower the motor, the better for weight distribution and balance also. Just wondering.
Tom
2door...good question...when i first put the bike togeather...i used used different homemade mounts...they didnt hold up...sense this was aluminum...i took steel pipe the size of the frame, cut them perfectally inhalf...drilled holes threw them and threaded one side...went thru the frame on both sides...put a plate with hole and treaded it...put goop on the inside of the pipe.and put everything togeather...the hole was from previous mounts...didnt want to drill new holes...i might say i have NEVER had to tighten up a nut on these mounts...nothing shakes loose...no vibration...so thats.. how it got high...a mistake...yes...but its doing fine...try and find a pic...this was my second build...i have built 3, and i learn something all the time...and i've learn to straighten a carb mess...its not fun...but knowledge does not come cheap. HARD KNOCKS AND DIRTY SOCKS...Ha!Dennis

Attachments