Oregon Law..Am I Reading This Right?

GoldenMotor.com

Joshua1938

May 20, 2009
Oregon
This is what I dug up on Oregon law pertaning to 'mopeds'.

"Oregon Moped Laws
Moped Defintion
a vehicle, including any bicycle equipped with a power source, other than an electric assisted bicycle or a motor assisted scooter that complies with all of the following:

Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels.
Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider.
Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
Is equipped with an independent power source that Is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source.
Is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.

To obtain registration to legally operate a moped or similar vehicle on the public roads of Oregon, the vehicle must meet federal highway safety and equipment requirements, Federal EPA requirements, and insurance requirements.

Moped Title and Registration
Mopeds must be registered in Oregon. To register a moped, owners must fill out the Application for Title and Registration. There is a fee of $30.00 for a two year period for renewals and when titling and registering used mopeds, and a $60 fee for a four-year period if the moped is new and being registered and titled for the first time. After an initial four year period, renewals revert to a two year period. If the moped does not already have an Oregon registration plate, a plate fee also is required

The standard issue plate is a yellow background with blue letters and numbers. One plate is issued and is required to be displayed on the rear of the moped. Mopeds may also have custom, disabled veteran, Ex-POW, and Ham plates.

Moped License Requirements
Any driver license or restricted license is required for anyone to operate a moped. Violation of this law is a Class B traffic violation with a maximum fine of $360. Operation by a rider under 16 years of age is a Class D traffic violation with a maximum fine of $90.A parent or legal guardian of a child younger than 16 years old who authorizes or knowingly allows a child to operate a motor-assisted scooter may be subject to a traffic citation and fine, as well.

Moped Driver's License
A moped (Restricted Class C) driver license authorizes the operation of mopeds only. To obtain one, you must apply at a DMV office and meet the following requirements:

Be an Oregon resident or domiciled in Oregon
Be at least 16 years of age
Provide proof of age, identification and residence address
Complete a Driver License/Identification Card Application
Under 18: Pass a Safe Driving Practices Knowledge Test and obtain a parent or guardian´s signature on the Driver License/Identification Card Application, unless married or an emancipated minor
Under 18: If applying for an Oregon driving privilege for the first time, you must show proof of school enrollment, completion or exemption
Pass the Moped Knowledge Test. All the information necessary to pass the knowledge test is included in the Oregon Motorcycle & Moped Operating Manua
Pass a drive test conducted by DMV
Pass a vision screening test
Pay appropriate testing and issuance fees
Not have suspended or revoked driving privileges in Oregon or any other state.
Motor-assisted Scooter Definition

is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels
has handlebars and a foot support or seat
can be propelled by human or motor
has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road
has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts

Mini-motorcycles Laws
Mini-motorcycles, pocket bikes, or mini-choppers are not intended for use on public streets and highways. They are manufactured for off-road use.At least two traffic violations could apply for anyone found using such a vehicle on public roads.

Operation of an unsafe vehicle is a Class B traffic violation (ORS 815.020), with a fine up to $360.
Operation of a vehicle that violates equipment rules is a Class C traffic violation (ORS 815.100), with a fine up to $180.
External Resources
Oregon DMV
Oregon Moped Driver's License
Oregon DMV - Mopeds "

So if I reading this correctly, a "bicycle equipped with a power source, other than an electric assisted bicycle" the motor assisted bicycle must be 'registered' and 'titled' and 'insured".

"To obtain registration to legally operate a moped or similar vehicle on the public roads of Oregon, the vehicle must meet federal highway safety and equipment requirements, Federal EPA requirements, and insurance requirements.

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
The only regs I had seen for OR restricted motor cc's to 35. If that is the real deal then this is good news for the Oregonians for sure. Some $ hoops to jump through and isn't clear on the need for a vin but getting legal there doesn't sound too bad.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Ok, I have spent a lot of time researching this. In Oregon if you put a motor on a bike and it is under 35cc there are no licenses or insurance required, just be over 16 wear a helmet and abide by the laws. If you ride at night a headlight and taillight are required. If you over 35cc's then it must be registered. Vin number is the serial # imprinted on the crank housing. If your license is suspended then you cannot ride one legally @ all.

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
Ok, I have spent a lot of time researching this. In Oregon if you put a motor on a bike and it is under 35cc...
I gather this is why the case on my new motor doesn't have any markings. Like... if i get pulled over, who is to say its displacement? They gonna take my motor apart and measure?
... there are no licenses or insurance required, just be over 16 wear a helmet and abide by the laws.
What sort of helmet am i need to wear? Bicycle or motorcycle?

I'd be much grateful if you could point me to your research sources. I've asked a couple local cops but they don't seem to know... one of them said "no you can't do that" and the other said, basically, "duh..". Wrote to the State Police but they didn't write back.

It's ridiculous i should even have to consider all this crap because i have a vehicle that gets over 100mpg. My wife and i are seriously considering ditching the cars. This should be officially encouraged in the name of National Security. Instead i'm in a twilight zone, nobody seems to know what's what if it isn't this or that.

This is my first motor and i expect it to be a lot of fun. But when the arguments come up i'd like to be right, maybe with the actual statutes in my pocket.

/rant

Thanks,
-Joe

ku4qb

Jun 7, 2009
Moore County, NC
Kinda reminds me of when my boss in Louisville, KY decided to sell Vespa scooters back in '73. Kentucky said "that's a motorcycle, you need a motorcycle license" but "no, you can't take the driving test on that because it isn't a motorcycle". He couldn't keep the scooters in stock, everyone wanted one. The mopeds he had hardly sold at all.... go figure!
Bill KU4QB

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
It would seem in OR the answer is simple just buy a robin subaru 33cc motor and your perfectly legal even with a suspended license. There must other motors out there to fit the bill also, honda I know makes a 35cc motor and both of these motors are bullit proof.

majdan

Dec 15, 2009
Canby, OR
Joshua,

Yes you are reading it right. The vehicle code is ORS 801-820. You can find this on line. From my read you need the following if your motor is over 35 cc:
Motor pass EPA emissions for a motor vehicle
Brakes stop you in 25 feet from 20 mph
muffler under 89 dBA
Head light
tail light turn signals
plate light
Brake light
horn
rear view mirror
and a slow moving vehicle emblem

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
If that is the legal definition of a moped,
but my bike has a 66cc motor and i can go 35mph,
then it would seem to me that i do not have a moped.
Since my bike doesn't fit the description of "motor-assisted scooter" either,
(by which i think they mean those little skateboard-with-handlebars thingies),
it seems to me that my vehicle has no classification and therefore no pertinent laws
in the State of Oregon.

N'est–ce pas?

I' think that there must be some sort of law says you can't just build any vehicle you want to and drive/ride it anywhere you want to, but i assume nothing.

-joe

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
Are you saying that if it's not defined in the Oregon Vehicle Code then by default it's illegal to use on the streets? Because i can't find the bit that says that.

I'm not arguing and i'm not saying it's not there, i'm just still trying to figure this out six months later. I have yet to be cited or even stopped, and i'm wondering if that's in part because they don't know what to cite me for and don't want to go to court.

I mean given the premises of this discussion they'd have to either say i was riding a "moped" with no registration, or else they'd have to say that i was riding a "motor-assisted scooter" with a motor that's too big. But that would be arbitrary and by their definitions i am riding neither.

Has anyone here gotten a ticket in Oregon? That is, other than for a moving violation, i.e., for the act of riding his motorized bicycle?

- joe

majdan

Dec 15, 2009
Canby, OR
The way I read it is that Oregon DMV considers anything over 50 cc as a motorcycle
between 35 and 50 cc and you can make it move with just your feet it's a moped
between up to 35 cc and if you can make it move with just your feet its a motor assisted scooter

bchowk

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
The way I read it is that Oregon DMV considers anything over 50 cc as a motorcycle
between 35 and 50 cc and you can make it move with just your feet it's a moped
between up to 35 cc and if you can make it move with just your feet its a motor assisted scooter
That is the way I read it too and I gather that others here in Oregon are building "motor assisted scooters" without much issue...so for my first build I think I'll try a small robin and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing your research MajDan. I recon I will want to print out a copy of the code and carry it with me....

Soooo, I get that over 35cc is a moped and you need a manufacturer to certify stuff and make it all nice and legal which isn't going to happen for a guy like me who wants to build his own stuff as a hobby...Ultimately, I'd love to do a tribute board tracker...I know dudes are building custom motorcycles all the time, I wonder what THAT is like here in Oregon anyone looked at custom motorcycle registration?...Silly really to think an 80cc 2 stroke strapped to a worksman frame would be the same as a 500+ lb. 1000cc chopper but that's what were looking at, right?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
It would seem in OR the answer is simple just buy a robin subaru 33cc motor and your perfectly legal even with a suspended license. There must other motors out there to fit the bill also, honda I know makes a 35cc motor and both of these motors are bullit proof.
That is not correct, a suspended license means you can not ride any motorized vehicle of any sorts on oregon roads. I know because mine was suspended until a month ago. It says specifically in the text on the oregon DMV website that your license cannot be suspended if you operate one of these. You don't have to have a license, but if you've had one and it's suspended then your not supposed to. Keep in mind I was pulled over six times, not once did they ask for my license or ID. They pull out a cheat sheet that they have printed up, and they ask you questions right off the page. If your answers are right then they let ya go. I ran a 66cc and told the PO's it was 36cc with no questions ever asked. Mind you if ya get a cop who's having a bad day he may actually try to find a reason to bust ya.If ya give'm a reason then thats too bad and they'll take your bike.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey BCHOWK don't get down on your luck, you can probably still license your dreams. Two ways that it may be possible
1) Antique vehicle licenses; any boardtracker can probably get one of these look into your local DMV to see
2) Certificate of origin; A certificate of origin can be obtained by fully documenting your build. Take pictures, keep reciepts etc...... Then apply for a certificate of origin, these are available for anyone who wants to make their own vehicle for personal use.

bchowk

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Thanks Terronthesnake.....Certificate of origin is what I think I'll go for. An actual antique board tracker may be a little out of my reach. There are a couple custom harley shops in town, suppose I should talk to them too.

BTW- A good friend of mine, one of Hilsboro Oregons finest happened to swing by last night. While we were visiting I asked him about MB's and my plans....as he started thumbing through his pocket guide the conversation went like this

PO- How many CC?
me- 35
PO- How fast will it go
me- no more than 25
PO- yeah you'll be fine just follow the bicycle laws...I see one of those every now and then sorta buzzin by

So that looks good. All I need now is to find a vee-mount kit under 35cc and get started...after learning a bit may have to get serious about certificate of origin and build that board tracker...turn signals, brake lights, DOT tires, wonder if they'll want to inspect the frame...hmmmmm......

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
The requirments aren't as stringent because one of the deals with a certificate of origin is that the vehicle in question is not to be sold to anyone, but for personal use. If you do want to sell them I think you have to go more down the antique road.These board track replica's should actually be pretty easy to get an antique license for as they are supposed to be replicas.