Scooter & Moped class Laws in 48 states

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Wa state laws please on friction drive? Got my motor on Monday and it's prestine I dint even think it's been broken in. Hahahhaa bolen on the world with my Bl110.

Although I ruined my taxes gift from my wife which was assumed to be a moped, I am fine with a motorized bicycle that my wife is going to help me build.

I got a spring tensioner door hinge and was going to use the bolt side of a bed slat to mount them together.

Finally got pulled over today on my 66cc OCC Stingray. I was about 100 feet from my house and had been riding for about 20 seconds and looked behind me to see flashing lights. Cop was nice about and said he thought it was really cool, but he also told me I have to get it plated as a moped. After calling the liscence plate agency, dmv, and dot for about a week (apparently they are only open from 8am to 10am monday, wednesday, and Thursday.... -_-), I was finally able to talk to someone who told me that they don't do bicycles with engines on them, but that mine sounded like it was powerful enough to consider helping me out. He told me to bring him pictures of the bike before going any further so here I am. Not sure what I need to do to the bike before I take these pictures since I want to have the best shot at him giving me the green light. So just a heads up to anyone in NC. Also make sure you tell em its 48cc. Anything over is a motorcycle in North Carolina. Also no gears allowed, or clutch - although clutch is not as noticeable. If anyone knows anything about what I should to I'd really appreciate it! I'll be sure to keep yall updated when I find out more.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Finally got pulled over today on my 66cc OCC Stingray. I was about 100 feet from my house and had been riding for about 20 seconds and looked behind me to see flashing lights. Cop was nice about and said he thought it was really cool, but he also told me I have to get it plated as a moped. After calling the liscence plate agency, dmv, and dot for about a week (apparently they are only open from 8am to 10am monday, wednesday, and Thursday.... -_-), I was finally able to talk to someone who told me that they don't do bicycles with engines on them, but that mine sounded like it was powerful enough to consider helping me out. He told me to bring him pictures of the bike before going any further so here I am. Not sure what I need to do to the bike before I take these pictures since I want to have the best shot at him giving me the green light. So just a heads up to anyone in NC. Also make sure you tell em its 48cc. Anything over is a motorcycle in North Carolina. Also no gears allowed, or clutch - although clutch is not as noticeable. If anyone knows anything about what I should to I'd really appreciate it! I'll be sure to keep yall updated when I find out more.

66cc is why the clocked do this : head lights, hazardous signals , and a helmet mount blinkers. You also need a horn.

My bike broke down last year its in storage til it's needed dropped my drive shaft at Safeway half way fixed my Honda knock off nb50 scooter though check first ride.

You may also want to find a stamper guy who can stamp your engine serial on the frame.

I got called crazy by everyone 0 manuals left in the world on pgo star 50s.

Even got kicked from spree.net I the re-registered to show them I won't fin

Talk **** about me and my ride you get punked instantly

Concidering the closest bore spec for nb50s is 40mm x 39.3 i just dropped a yamaha/jog updated piston which is 40mm x 39.2 turned that key and she fired instantly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GFpWFukhFUU1htX3dlaTVVVG8/view?usp=docslist_api

Last edited by a moderator:

chmn22s

Jun 8, 2017
FWIW in Ohio, since basically all links broken above, to be legal, it must meet these conditions and will be considered a moped. I copied this from Ohio's DMV http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/other-types.php

If a moped or motorized bike exceeds any one of these specifications, it is legally a motorcycle and must adhere to Ohio BMV motorcycle regulations.
  • The vehicle must be capable of being pedaled as well as carrying a helper motor, which cannot:
    ―Have a piston displacement larger than 50 cc.
    ―Be capable of producing more than 1 HP.
    ―Obtain a maximum speed greater than 20 MPH on a level surface.
so in effect 95% of our MB's are technically motorcycles! or at least mopeds under the law. I think E bikes don't seem to fall under these laws.