Choke lever acces from handle bar

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Re: Controlling the choke from the handlebar

Well this isn't handlebar mounted,but it sure beats groping around for the choke lever.Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Re: Controlling the choke from the handlebar

Here's how I went about it.I used a 1/8" copper rod I had laying around , beat a flat on one end and drilled a 1/16" hole through it.Used a dremmel to cut a slot in the top tab of the choke lever(long enough to allow full travel). Pinned end of rod between the two choke lever tabs with a piece of wire.Took a thin strip of metal bent in half to form a sleeve and taped to seat tube.Sawed off Shaker peg for handle.
Not the most eloquent solution but sufficiently goofy enough to have a certain appeal.Ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tired of fumbling for the choke?

My engine starts quickly even without the choke but cold starts are quicker with it. But I hated reaching down between my legs, trying to find that tiny little choke lever and watching where I was riding so I decided to do something about it. When I installed the engine I had to remove or relocate the front derailer so I opted to go without those tall downhill gears and run just the lower five. I had the derailer lever and cable so I used it to control the choke. My handlebars are starting to look like the controls of the space shuttle but at least everything is within reach and handy. The attached pictures show how I did it.
I used 3/16" stainless steel tubing to route and guide the cable from just under the gas tank down to the carb. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the choke lever, ran the cable through it with a spring to assist in returning the choke to the full open position and used a 1/16" model airplane wheel collar for a cable stop. This works great. The choke is right up there where I can reach it when I need and no more fumbling or weaving down the street while I try to find that choke lever. Give it a try.

Attachments

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Re: Tired of fumbling for the choke?

im currently wanting to do a mountain bike for trail riding and will definately do so . my current bike the engine is close enought to me to flip the choke no prob. but the mountain bike i know will be a problem .

great instructions and great pics.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Thanks Oscar and there's something I forgot to mention in the original post. I flared the end of the tubing, much like you'd do if making a hydraulic brake line. The spring could then be "treaded" onto the tubing to keep it in place and make the tension adjustable. The spring is an Ace Hardware item, Spring #183, found in those little plastic drawers they have full of all kinds of neat stuff. Incidentally, hobby shops and especially model airplane parts are very adaptable to our bikes.
Hope others can find this idea helpful.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL

Thanks Oscar and there's something I forgot to mention in the original post. I flared the end of the tubing, much like you'd do if making a hydraulic brake line. The spring could then be "treaded" onto the tubing to keep it in place and make the tension adjustable. The spring is an Ace Hardware item, Spring #183, found in those little plastic drawers they have full of all kinds of neat stuff. Incidentally, hobby shops and especially model airplane parts are very adaptable to our bikes.
Hope others can find this idea helpful.
flareing and threading the spring on is better than the zip tie idea i had in my head:oops:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

Thanks! I've had a kinda similar idea floating around my fuzzy little head but now you've gone and worked out all the details and done it a lot cleaner than I ever would have! (^)

P.S. Where do you get those great metal brackets for holding the tubing?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Stude,
I don't know anyone who has tried the double pull brakes. Can you adjust the bias between the front and rear with that setup? As expected my fronts are better than the rears so it would be necessary to "back off" on the fronts a little to avoid too much brake on the front when really getting on them. Do you use double pull? I've gotten used to using my left hand for the clutch and front brake but I can see where it would be an advantage to do all the braking with my right. Thanks for the reply. Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Thanks, Fin,
The bracket was one of those lucky finds we sometimes have while scrounging through our junk drawers. I think it was meant for bicycles but I couldn't begin to even guess where I got it originally. It's chrome and very springy so it holds everything together well.
You might find something like it at a bike shop. Good luck.
Tom

A.T

Jan 30, 2009
Romania
Hi,

I don't know if somebody have made this improvement or I'm the first. Attached you can see the easy choke action directly from handle bar. I've made this with one spring and a Shimano shifter. Maybe this will seem useful for some of you and stupid for others :)
.shft.

Attachments

A.T

Jan 30, 2009
Romania
Hi Tom,

I think we have the same concept, but with small difference between systems. Now when I analyzed yours it's better looking.

Best regards,
Alex
.shft.