skyhawk bicycle and wheels

GoldenMotor.com

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
So I will be ordering a Skyhawk bicycle soon and have a few questions as to what kind of wheels I should use. I have seen mag wheels and ive seen spoked with CNC sprockets. both wheels using caliper and disc brakes. What would be a good first set up? I'm tired of my wally world bikes and want something outside of a coaster brake set up. I hear calipers burn quickly but discs are expsnesive to set up...any thoughts on this? .wee.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I must admit that when I'm thinking about the qualities of wheels, braking performance doesn't even enter my mind. But I won't criticize someone for thinking about safety.

I've never used disk or drum brakes on a bicycle. Almost all the bikes I've ridden were 1970's or 80's "10-speed" road bikes with caliper brakes or 20" bmx bikes with coaster or caliper brakes. And a few "newer" (1990's) bikes with cantilever brakes.

Those old Schwinn 10-speeds had chromed steel rims, caliper brakes, and brake pads 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall. Mediocre stopping when dry - no stopping when wet.

Cantilever brakes and aluminum rim surfaces perform so much better. Still not great when wet. Cantilever design applies a lot of pressure to pads, and if you ride a lot in dirty, gritty environment and don't keep things clean, it can erode an aluminum rim's sidewall.

Calipers "burn quickly"? Even if you replaced pads every year what would that cost - about as much as one tire?

I never had a crash that better brakes would have prevented.

Last edited: