Tool Misuse - Using coil spring compressors to spread rear stays

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I needed about a half inch more clearance between the stays if I had any hope of fitting a 3-inch tire. After mulling over some ideas of cutting, spreading and reinforcing the stays I decided to give this a try.

By rearranging the hooks and nuts, a cheap set of Harbor Freight coil spring compressors can be used to spread the rear stays. I used them in tandem so that the hooks interlock. It actually didn't take a lot torque to do the work and in about an hour I had my half inch!

(note: just be sure to brace the rear dropouts so they don't spread)

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Looks like it will work good. Lotta leveage in the spot. I would consider welding in some gussets there after perhaps?

Edit I have that tool. Gives a fellow a couple ideas!:)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Guys, if you use the new venacular of political correctness, technically, this isn't a mis-use of that tool.

The tool is a "distance changer between two different pieces of material". Don't hate me when that begins to show up on the new packaging materials.......

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
There is one tool that could do the job much easier if you need to do this to more than just one bike, the tool is fairly cheap too... just look up a small block chevy exhaust manifold spreader... it's about the perfect size for where you're using the spring compressor and it has cut out ends to prevent distorting the tubes, the other cool thing about it is that it's very compact and basically a small turnbuckle type mechanism, just set it in, turn a wrench on it and stop when it's the right distance.