Band Saw

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Just got a new toy to make the metal fab go easier.

This table converts your hand held band saw into a stationary unit. Brilliant!

SWAG offroad products.

It is so much easier to feed the work into the saw than it is to feed the saw into the work. And the best part is it's not much bigger than a hibachi - :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME,Thanks, Had it my mind to build something but now save time and save it for build a bike............Curt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've been using port-a-band saws for 15 years at work. about 2 years after i started building bikes, a buddy gave me an old beat up one that i fixed and still use 4 years later. best tool ever!

i don't have the stand, but i can cut an almost perfect 4" circle. it's amazing what you can do with real tools...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've got a proper Delta band saw, but steaks just taste so much better off the Hibachi!

I would have to say my favorite hand held power tool (and by far the most used) is the small 4"-5" angle grinder with all the blades available for it. Used more than a cordless drill in my garage. Dremel's are right up there too...

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Love the Air Cut Off Tool and Air Die Grinder, gobs of power in a small package.
Well oiled, the cheap ones work fine.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I made my first part with it today, a manifold spacer for the Lifan. Did all the holes first while it was still part of that 3/8" thick scrap aluminum angle. That made drilling the holes easy.

Then I just cut the part out with the band saw - :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! now i get one for sure, have rotater cuff sholder so can't realy handle mine as is for very long. Much more useful this way.............Curt

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks. I didn't know how much I missed it until the old one was stolen. I had the cheap Harbor Freight model lashed to the sawhorse legs out on the front porch and someone made off with it. That was what taught me the joys of feeding the work instead of the saw.

You can cut on a line because you can see the line and the blade. Genius.

Being able to do an accurate cut means you don't have to spend a huge amount of time grinding to fit. Saws are much faster than abrasives.

And since I don't have a lot of space here (small Kaufman & Broad tract house) I can't really get into a proper stationary floor mount saw. Just not enough room.

And this one will get taken inside when I'm done because I won't have to un-bungee it ever again - :)