Building a MB on a tight budget.

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Ive been hurting for some kinda income now for awhile and as motorized bike grow in popularity around me,I figure why not try to build and sell some. Hopefully I will be able to get a small MB parts and kit shop going for some of us here in the Midwest. Fingers crossed.

Luck has been in the cards for me this year as I scored a sweet,brand new in the box Grubee GT-5 kit off of craigslist for a unlocked cell phone I had laying around that didnt cost me anything. This came when I was so desperate to find away to make 200 bucks just to get a kit. So I couldn't believe that i was able to pull this off. Engine kit = more or less FREEBIE!

Well, I need an easy frame now,and something dirt cheap. Something I can plop that kit into without mods or additional money to get it to work, beach cruisers seem in demand but not to many I can find for cheap or going to just bolt right up. Another moment of luck came last night as someone asked me to help them pick up a beach cruiser from a guy on Craigslist. I went with and he had a Trek mountain bike he was willing to give me for 40 bucks! So I got it.

So,anyways,here is where I begin the build, 2 issues already confront me on this bike, the shifter and rear brake cables are on the top tube of the frame and are facing up. They are not the full casing type of cables,they are the ones that use exposed cable here and there, and this is going to cause my first issue with mounting the gas tank to the top tube.

Next up on my scary list of things to do, the one crank does not look like its going to clear the muffler/pipe. I know quite a few of you have heated up the pipe to bend it, in the all the bikes i have built i have tried that on everyone of them and after the bend or bends i have to put in them have caused the pipe fail at some point down the road. It like cracks and then just falls off, one time the whole damn muffler can broke off the pipe and then the guts fell out the bottom all over the bike path. Maybe better off finding a off set crank? eh, god knows i dont want to kill the muffler cause im trying to keep this cheap.

SO... here some photos ...

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Drill out the holes in the pipe flange a bit bigger. This allows you to turn the entire pipe just enough to clear most pedals. I have never had to bend a pipe yet.
As far as the cables, I find the easiest way is to use a chunk of wood under the tank with two small channels cut for the cables to clear. I've also used a chunk of channel iron, but the wood is easier on the tank.
Getting the chainline straight is the most important issue for any new builder. Take your time and get it right from the start and your builds will be more reliable.
BE SURE the tensioner is secure! I tack weld all mine to the frame to prevent them slipping into the spokes. Most muffler shops will do this for you if you have no welder access. Do a search for other methods. No tensioner is the best, but not always practical depending on the frame.
Most frames will need the tensioner bracket twisted a bit to line up the roller correctly. I use a big crescent wrench to align things, but be very careful not to bend the frame. Doing it in a vise takes longer but is safer.

Last edited:

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
The key to building a bike on a tight budget is patience. It took me 4 months to save money and gather all the parts for my custom bike. If you rush to get things done on a budget, you cut corners and end up risking your safety or the safety of a customer. No good. Take your time and build it right. It might be tough right now, but it will pay off in the long run. Don't be like the guys on craigslist throwing bikes together as quick as possible and selling them for $200 more than they are worth. A safe, reliable bike at a good price will bring you customers. Eventually you will make enough money to open your shop. And a word of advice on the shop. You will need liability insurance. Many insurance companies will not cover a bicycle shop for repairs on motorized bikes of any kind. So do your research on insurance before opening the shop, or you leave yourself vulnerable to lawsuits.

JOBAfunky

May 21, 2014
F'n Kansas
I only had one of those upper wires to worry about on my build, and it was off to the side. It still got me thinking maybe just put in standard break and shifter lines, how much could that cost?

Hmmm I might have to start a Mountain Bike on a Budget build, Considering I am doing that right now. My 1st build and I have wondered off into Bike Bliss. Well my build started right, just everything that could happen DID lol. 1st there was a side screw for the left side sprocket cover stripped out trying to get the cover off, Had to drill the head off and didn't have any shop tools beside a rechargeable cordless drill. My Nerves were on edge that I was going to go threw the side cover or too deep in the hole, Worked out fine. Then while trying to get to Ace Hardware for the side cover bolts, I got a back flat tire, Then there was the shifting cable for my back gears broke, Then the most stupidest mistake as a beginner could make. I was trying to fit that 44 tooth sprocket onto a 32 hole back rim not realizing I needed a 36 hole back rim. lol
All this on a very tight budget.
The bike I am using is a Red Gary Fisher Mountain bike, Sun Faded looks ugly !, 21" frame with a china-girl engine. Bought the engine off of E-bay for 148.50, with free shipping and a 24 month warranty ! Warranted here in USA and not China, (thank goodness), Beside my premix oil, 36 hole Back Rim, and a different 2 stage gas filter, And a few nuts & bolts upgrades I'm currently at 228.00. I will be upgrading to a racing CDI and a longer muffler and Racing carburetor, Over the next few months. And *Maybe* A sprocket adapter. I need to paint the frame Satin Black Badly but not just yet. I want everything on the motor working before I paint. anything.

Last edited: