On my way, just picked up a used E-Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
So my buddy and bike mentor is tired of his Ebike after less than a year and is going full on motors from now on. What Im getting is a 48v 1000 wt front wheel, bms, some sla batteries that are near death, rack etc on a Miyata chassis. Ive riden this bike quite a bit and it has plenty of power and so far reliable.

So. Now the battery. Im thinking about the battery that Golden Motor sells, the 48v 12ah model but purchasing it from San Diego Electric bikes web site. Still need to find out some reviews on their service and shipping. I picked up this electric bike at such a good price Im thinking about starting to put together my ebike about the same time the wifes is completed.

Question on the charging of the above battery. The battery comes with a 2 amp charger and an upgrade to a 4 amp charger. I imagine the upgrade is worth every penny. Also the BMS that's with the bike would need to be replaced??? for something that's set up for LifeP04?

*Just checked Sdelectricbike site and things have changed since last night lol, Looks like they suddenly do not carry Golden Motor batteries now. Weird.

As always any help would be......helpful :)

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I think I saw a post from Paul and he was using a 48v 10ah Golden battery with a MP3, and from most of what Ive read that's not enough for a 1000w hub. Heck I don't know lol.

Just checked with a vendor and he can ship me a Ping battery with a high rate bms and I think he said upgraded charger total price 730.00 shipped. Do I need the upgraded BMS? I could get it for a little cheaper through Ping with the upgraded charger and standard BMS.

That vendor also said that the Golden batteries (10 and 12ah) are very hard to repair if something happens. Any thoughts?

So many questions, thanks guys.

Dan.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am not sure about repairing them, i know barleyawake had one apart and set it would be easy to replace a cell, most battery's have a bms built in them, i know the golden motor ones do, my golden motor 48v 10ah battery i have put well over 6,000 miles on the motorized bicycle and battery and zero problems, i am very happy with both of them

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
i am not sure about repairing them, i know barleyawake had one apart and set it would be easy to replace a cell, most battery's have a bms built in them, i know the golden motor ones do, my golden motor 48v 10ah battery i have put well over 6,000 miles on the motorized bicycle and battery and zero problems, i am very happy with both of them
Thanks Paul,
So you did use that 10ah on your mp3 or/and smart pie? I just don't want to shorten the life of these already expensive batteries lol. What charger do you have and how long does it take to charge? Also I assume you have to keep an eye on the battery while charging as not to over charge?

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks Easy,
I'm a bit iffy on anything but LifeP04 due to stability, although I will readily admit my only knowledge is reading through forums.

How much is bms shipping rates?

Dan.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i am not sure about repairing them, i know barleyawake had one apart and set it would be easy to replace a cell...
...if you can find a matching cell, yes - quite easy.

GM 36v 12ah repack & wrap;

I should mention I agree wholeheartedly - it's often quite a bit more cost effective to forgo the kit-supplied batteries & get your own, as mentioned previously bmsbattery.com, pingbattery.com & others are great sources for packs & parts, complete w/cases or DIY, the only "difficult" bit being matching the components & that's really not difficult at all...

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It ended up costing around $200. Before shipping was $100 through FedEx but now they use TNT shipping and the shipping doubled. Also when ordering a battery, make sure you buy one with a continuous discharge of 30+ amps. I made the mistake of buying one with a 15 amp discharge and it only gets 14 miles per charge.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks BarelyaWake, I've been curious about what was inside of my case batteries but never had the guts to take one apart.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I should mention I agree wholeheartedly - it's often quite a bit more cost effective to forgo the kit-supplied batteries & get your own, as mentioned previously bmsbattery.com, pingbattery.com & others are great sources for packs & parts, complete w/cases or DIY, the only "difficult" bit being matching the components & that's really not difficult at all...
The want to build is there, I just read so many things from so many different people lol. Use this, don't use that, one mistake and boom!

I was just checking this place out. Seems like reasonable pricing and the manufacturer Ive also seen while lurking around. Id like to know which BMS they are using and if the battery comes that way with no enclosure at all. Any good?

http://www.greenbikekit.com/lithium-battery/lifepo4/48v-10ah-headway-38120-battery.html

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
It ended up costing around $200. Before shipping was $100 through FedEx but now they use TNT shipping and the shipping doubled. Also when ordering a battery, make sure you buy one with a continuous discharge of 30+ amps. I made the mistake of buying one with a 15 amp discharge and it only gets 14 miles per charge.
Im glad you mentioned continuous discharge of 30+ amps. In all my reading my brain went from continuous to maximum. That would have been a big mistake.

Dan.

EDIT
I think I found a neat article here for the E-bike challenged folk like myself.
http://www.electricbike.com/lithium-battery/

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks BarelyaWake, I've been curious about what was inside of my case batteries but never had the guts to take one apart.
No problem, I should learn from your example as I oft take things apart I prolly shouldn't lol - these batteries easy, my dang laptop not so much :p

BTW the cells are usually held together with plastic frames, much like legos - hard to see in the previous pics the GM flat cells are like this;

Round or cylinder cells like in my 48v 15ah pack from ping (older version) have more rack-like setups, also available as bits & parts;

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The want to build is there, I just read so many things from so many different people lol. Use this, don't use that, one mistake and boom!

I was just checking this place out. Seems like reasonable pricing and the manufacturer Ive also seen while lurking around. Id like to know which BMS they are using and if the battery comes that way with no enclosure at all. Any good?

http://www.greenbikekit.com/lithium-battery/lifepo4/48v-10ah-headway-38120-battery.html
I've no idea, I've not used that site before - I would guess if they don't mention a BMS or enclosure, that they're likely not included. It seems a parts & supply site, not that it's a bad thing just some assembly required lol

Some sites have "sets" you can get, individual components prematched and sold as a package to be assembled (stacking cells, wiring, soldering, wrapped) by you... the catch is other then customized dimensions (fitting inside pannier/frame w/e) you're not getting much of a savings usually - even custom, scratch built, "I found everything myself" battery builds aren't usually a whole lot cheaper then pre-made shrink wrap packs (no enclosure/case)... unless you're buying by the pallet-load I assume lol

My personal opinion, just what I prefer - I kinda think factory cases over-rated, they look groovy but they're costly and often far larger then the battery within, space-waste with an already cramped cargo area. I like to make my own rack, or just chuck 'em in a pannier :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
EDIT
I think I found a neat article here for the E-bike challenged folk like myself.
http://www.electricbike.com/lithium-battery/
Thanks for sharing this article. I started researching 18650 cells by Allcell technologies and those are expensive but I'm sure they're worth it.

More importantly after reading this article, I realized that I need to take more precaution when charging my packs. I plan on building a metal charging station with a closing lid because the last thing I need to do is explain to the Mrs why I burnt the house down! lol