1500W Mid drive bike

GoldenMotor.com

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I build me a center drive ebike with a GNG kit with 12s1p lipo. The kit needed some tweaking and got it to work. Found me a Giant Prodigy frame on ebay and started from there. Well the bike is nice and light, but can't handle the torque the motor/gearing setup produces. The rear of the frame just twist under load. Bummer that after all that work, I will have to take it apart again and set it up with as something different. So I stuck it in a Hard tail Fuji bike. I'm going to use Lyen 6fet mini monster, Left hand throttle, 3 speed switch, with 14s1p lipo.
Replaced some of the metal spacers with Nylon ones. The spring on the idler is tighten up a bit, adding some tension to it. I'll add some threat locker too. Got to see what other screws I can find at the Ace hardware store. Still need to finished wiring it up and adding the CA. Installed a Connex 9 speed chain, hoping I won't snap like the chain on the Prodigy.

Pics of the Prodigy, which now back to a regular bike which the wife uses.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Here's the Fuji Nevada 1.0 hard tail, which got the mid drive setup later on. It was a fun setup and tons of on the trails.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I had some time to myself and installed the GNG bracket kit from Lightingrods. Sprayed some hammered paint and came out *****in'.
I installed the Bikemotive 130BCD and 110BCD crankset spiders for more clearance. I had to use my impact driver just to get the old 16T freewheel off the crankarm. I replaced the 38T chainring for a 39T.

I updated my rearshock to Manitou Evolver ISX-1 2008. Got it for cheap and was brandnew. Took the fork off my second EVG bike and stuck it on the Fuji.

Still need to clean it up a bit, needs a battery harness made, a shield and should be ready for the trails.

So with the stock GNG crank arms, I purchased:

http://bikemotive.myshopify.com/products/custom-acs-crossfire-flanged-freewheel
http://bikemotive.myshopify.com/pro...0bcd-spider-for-freewheel-crankset-bikemotive
http://bikemotive.myshopify.com/products/custom-130bcd-spider-for-freewheel-crankset-bikemotive

I bought the mounting screws and bolts at Ace Warehouse. M5x.8 screws with corresponding bolts and washers.
I purchased 1mm freewheels spacers from Amazon. These go between the crank arm and freewheel.
To mount the chainrings, I ordered two sets of Origin8 double chainring bolts. I also needed Origin8 Chainring Spacers 0.6mm, which is a bag of 20.

I'm using Lyen 6fet 4110 sensorless controller. Battery power comes from 12s-14s lipo. There is a also a 3 speed switch connected and toned down the phase current to reduce the startup wheelies.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you for the close ups, that is the motorized bicycle set up I would like to build next. awesome clean workmanship. your talents are simply amazing.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Thanks peoples. Mid drives are tons of fun offroad. It's compact and doesn't take a lot of power to climb hills. 27mph is plenty fast on the mtb between the trees. It does take some more maintenance.
To give you an idea what I mean; on the same trails the 1500W mid drive is as good as my 6000W Raptor. Raptor doesn't need any adjusting. The mid drive needs to get all it's bolts checked after a few runs.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was wondering if the mid drives needed more maintenance, my magic pie on a mtb bicycle i have put over 6,000 miles on and no maintenance except basic maintenance to the bicycle itself