Wiring question - blue, black,flat,round,kill switch ???

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
skyhawk kit from gasbike.

the cdi (coil) has a blue and a black wire coming out of it with flat wire connectors.

The Magneto has a blue and black wire coming out of it with round barrel connectors

The throttle kill switch has two connectors coming out of it.

3 questions...

1) how do these three wire together ??? do I need to cut and splice wires together because of the different connectors ?

2) does it matter which way the magneto is installed in the motor ?

cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue to blue, black to black, kill switch wires (color is unimportant) goes to the blue and black.

We always suggest cutting those kit connectors off. They are notorious for bad electrical connections. Make the splices by soldering the wires and protecting them with heat shrink tubing for a watertight and troublefree electrical system.

The magneto coil will actually go on two ways but if you get it wrong the cover won't go back on. Look at it closely and you can see the the coil is offset from center. You'll want the mag installed so it lays deeper in the cavity.

Tom

EDIT: Be sure to cap and wrap that white wire so it can't touch any metal parts. Better yet cut if off where it solders to the mag coil.

Last edited:

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
wow - thanks for the quick reply. I plan to solder everything together. I do circuit board repair, so I've got pretty good soldering skills.

I installed the magneto and the cover went on without any problems. I might un-install it to note how NOT to install it. Actually, I'll be building another kit today, so I'll make note of that.

also - there is NO white wire coming out of the engine anywhere. I'm guessing that it is to run a light, but my kit has none.

cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Some of the later engines come without that stupid white wire. The factories are finally getting wise. Now if we could just get them to stop gluing the spark plug wire into the CDI and provide a quality spark plug boot, we'd have it made. :)

Good luck. Let us know how things work for you.

Tom