Suggestions for headlight switch

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My headlight and battery are both grounded to my frame. I need a switch for my headlight that can attach to my handlebars and have two positive wires (one from headlight and one from battery) wired to it. Checked around, but not sure what search terms to use. Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If one lead from the head light is grounded to the frame your switch needs to be SPST toggle or whatever configuration you want but SPST. SPST means 'single pole, single throw switch. It has one set of contacts and to energize the circuit you only move the switch one time in one direction.

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Tom, I am aware that I need an spst switch, and I am aware of what spst stands for. I am asking if anyone has any suggestions as to an spst rocker switch that can be mounted on my handlebars. Harold, that switch is nice, but unfortunately its a hi/lo, not an spst and its also out of my price range. Just asking for a little help, thanks.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I found an old spst switch that a buddy had given me. At the time, I didnt know it was an spst switch, and was using it as a killswitch, one wire to cdi and the other to ground. Pretty sure its what killed my cdi before I built my 98cc cruiser, but who cares. Anyway, I just wired it up and hose clamped it to my handlebars for the time being. I can reach it with my thumb. Over the weekend or some time next week, I'll work on retrofitting the switch into the hole where I had my previous toggle switch mounted, where the horn button used to be on my brake lever. I will most likely need to do some cutting with a dremel and possibly drill a bigger hole as well, but I think I can get the switch in there. I may also have to make the wires longer going to the switch, but that's not a big deal. Pretty sure I can get it in there. It's a much better switch than the one I had previously. The one I had is not meant for automotive use, maybe more for a project board or something. The one I just installed is meant for automotive, most likely for controlling spot lights or fog lights, as its got multiple connections. Either way, its a pretty sweet little deal and once I get it mounted how I want, it wont look much different than the one that was in there to begin with.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, I am aware that I need an spst switch, and I am aware of what spst stands for. I am asking if anyone has any suggestions as to an spst rocker switch that can be mounted on my handlebars. Harold, that switch is nice, but unfortunately its a hi/lo, not an spst and its also out of my price range. Just asking for a little help, thanks.
Sorry,

I promise not to offer you any more help or suggestions. Apparently you already have all the answers to your questions so why post them here?

Tom

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Sorry,

I promise not to offer you any more help or suggestions. Apparently you already have all the answers to your questions so why post them here?

Tom
Once again I will be smelling the coffee that just came out my nose all day.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Oh, no....it's too bad bigbutterbean felt insulted over a definition that he didn't need.

We shouldn't lose sight of something that's really pretty important; these threads, hopefully, educate many more people than just those who are directly involved.

I happened to know what a single pole-single throw switch is. But if I hadn't, then the definition would have been helpful. Nothing wrong with that.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oh, no....it's too bad bigbutterbean felt insulted over a definition that he didn't need.

We shouldn't lose sight of something that's really pretty important; these threads, hopefully, educate many more people than just those who are directly involved.

I happened to know what a single pole-single throw switch is. But if I hadn't, then the definition would have been helpful. Nothing wrong with that.
Read the last line of his original post. Did he not ask for the proper terms to use when ordering a switch?

It just gripes me, and others, when a question is asked then the OP gets upset when the replies run counter to his opinions. If he's so sure of himself, why ask?

Tom

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. I see what you mean. It looks as though you gave him the search term that he was asking for. But it seems that he didn't recognize it as such. His answer boiled down to, 'don't tell me things I already know'.

And that, I think, was a mistake. While both the asker and the answerer no doubt knew the definition of the term, others reading might not have known. And they could have benefited from the definition.

"Don't tell me things I already know' is a waste of a post. Others might learn from it. And the answer that the asker really does need might be coming up next.

It's a pity. As it happens I actually do need a better headlight switch than the one I've got. Mine's a standard household switch; like you'd mount in a wall to turn on your ceiling light. It's not so bad. But it can't be viewed as permanent.

So I'm open to suggestions.

Just don't tell me anything I already know!!!!

Last edited: