NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!! Stingray with pocket motor

GoldenMotor.com

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
This will be my first build. I’m a good fabricator and mechanic. But when it comes to bikes with motors im a newb. You guys look like you have a lot of fun with this hobby and I need a way to keep busy.

I have this pocket motor with the x1 trans that runs great, and this stingrays chopper. And I would like to marry the two.

The x1 trans has a 5to1 ratio with a 18 tooth drive gear. The rear sprocket is 20 tooth and crank is a 44 tooth..

I would like to free wheel the front crank, with extra gear and chain going to trans.

My big question is what size sprockets to get for crank and trans.

I would like speeds of 25 or so. With slight push or pedal at start if needed.

here is pic of trans i have and 12 tooth gear i found from this site.
http://www.pccmotor.com/49x1x2nipobi1.html

http://www.fancyscooters.com/item00298-scooter-part-sprocket-type-i-55-12-mm-12-tooth.html

thought i would order freewheel and crank sprockets from sick bikes. just not sure what size would be best. any help you pros can give would be appreciated.http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/duh.gif

ill post pics soon as i figure how to lol. ill have to do some reading on that

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Need more information....

Note: fisshure, after three posting 3 times you'll be able to post your pictures or someone else who knows how to save them to your album here in the forum will share more suggestions on how to share your pictures.

What size cc motor are you using and are you trying to run this motorized bicycle with a jackshaft or straight to left side of rear wheel?

Are you using stock rear stingray chopper wheel?

Are you going to keep the pedals for human power, or remove them completely?

I'd need to see your engine ( Picture ) to see what it is that you are trying to do in my minds eye, if that makes sense to you.

When you say pocketbike motor is it 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

Here's a 2-stroke Schwinn Stingray Fatboy with 20-inch X 4-1/4-inch front and rear wheels.

Here's a 4-stroke Schwinn Stingray Chopper with pedals removed:

Peace, Crazy Horse.

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
motor is 2 stroke. from pocket ninja mini crotch rocket. 49 cc i think.

i will be using stock tiers and cranks.

when motor is center mounted in bike, trans is on right leg side. so i would like to freewheel cranks and have to sprockets on right crank. one to trans and one to rear wheel sprocket. i want to leave and be able to use cranks and pedals assuming this freewheel will work for that?http://sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34&osCsid=94b7rv450ft9vtpasoa4cn3p74 i did post some pics to my album here if u can find it.

ps. those bikes look amazing, nice job.

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
basically i have three sprockets to play with, trans and two on crank. just not sure what size would be good with the 5 to 1 trans ratio.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
fisshure, which direction does your motor drive sprocket spin, this is important, you don't want your motor to drive the wheel in reverse, you may have to turn the motor so that the drive sprocket is on left side of the bike.

C.H.

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
maybe after looking at that beautiful fat boy i might just skip this whole pocket motor and by kit motor. If u can tell me where to get those sweet front forks and motor kit with motor mount.

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
i have checked rotation and it is correct for right side drive. other wise i would use rag joint and gear on left

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
maybe after looking at that beautiful fat boy i might just skip this whole pocket motor and by kit motor. If u can tell me where to get those sweet front forks and motor kit with motor mount.
I prefer to use Pedalchopper.com for my Schwinn Stingray Chopper part's, accessories, and aftermarket CNC Milled Engine Parts, CNC Milled Custom Forks made for the Schwinn Stingray Chopper.

fisshure, if you want the Wide Ride Fatboy forks contact Jim @Pedalchopper.com he has some super high quality products, and his customer service is the best...

http://www.pedalchopper.com/wide-ride-forks-fat-boy-style-forks/

If you have facebook here's an awesome group that share's information about all model's of the Schwinn Chopper's and most are motorized, check it out if you want here's the Link below:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/516855201700279/

C.H.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Do you have a coaster brake?

If so, the shift kit won't work.
It would not allow you to brake (freewheeling).:-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
This will be my first build. I’m a good fabricator and mechanic. But when it comes to bikes with motors im a newb. You guys look like you have a lot of fun with this hobby and I need a way to keep busy.

I have this pocket motor with the x1 trans that runs great, and this stingrays chopper. And I would like to marry the two.

The x1 trans has a 5to1 ratio with a 18 tooth drive gear. The rear sprocket is 20 tooth and crank is a 44 tooth..

I would like to free wheel the front crank, with extra gear and chain going to trans.

My big question is what size sprockets to get for crank and trans.

I would like speeds of 25 or so. With slight push or pedal at start if needed.

here is pic of trans i have and 12 tooth gear i found from this site.
http://www.pccmotor.com/49x1x2nipobi1.html

http://www.fancyscooters.com/item00298-scooter-part-sprocket-type-i-55-12-mm-12-tooth.html

thought i would order freewheel and crank sprockets from sick bikes. just not sure what size would be best. any help you pros can give would be appreciated.http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/duh.gif

ill post pics soon as i figure how to lol. ill have to do some reading on that
As I mentioned before, if you have a coaster brake, you'll have to replace it with a multi-speed internal hub with drum brake.

If you do that, here's what might work for you:

11t tranny sprocket
72t outside chainring sprocket
24t inside chainring sprocket
13t wheel sprocket

I use this combination with T8F chain, allowing strength and smaller-diameter outside chainring. Inner chainring is standard bike chain.

Orrr you could jackshaft it to the left-side and keep the coaster brake. Shoot for final gear ratio of 22:1 by using:

5:1 tranny
18t tranny sprocket
18t right-side jackshaft sprocket
10t left-side jack sprocket
44t rear wheel sprocket

You'll be in the ballpark with this combination.drn2

Be VERY careful! The pocket bike engine is VERY powerful when geared properly.xct2

However, compared to other engines, quality is inferior and there are problems with the engine.

But that's just my opinion.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The non-reeded pocket bike engines are pretty high quality, somebody had problems with the three shoe clutches with Cagllari engines, but there are a bunch of different pocket bike clutches that fit and work well. I'd say that any pocket bike engine as at least as high quality as the best happy time kit, they actually QC these things and they come with proper hardware and are meant to last a full landscaping equipment annual warranty under daily use. The centrifugal clutches will work much better and last a lot longer with the drivetrain run to a freewheel sprocket, on overrun centrifugals stay engaged and drag the motor at high rpm with the throttle closed.

I would say from my 52cc non reeded engine that its got more HP than a happy time kit but the torque is lacking unless you gear it appropriately for hills, which will cut the top speed a lot. The reeded Cags will supposedly do about 55 mph on flat ground so I bet geared for 25 they'll climb well. There are about 6 or 7 different transmissions that you can use as well, check out Ebay for some of them.

If you remember "upstairs/downstairs" conversion calcs from chemistry along with Pi, you can find out how many rpms your rear wheel will turn for a certain engine rpm through your ratios, then convert those rpms to miles per hour, once you have the framework for your conversion set up you can try any numbers for sprocket combos and see what top speed result you might expect.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The non-reeded pocket bike engines are pretty high quality, somebody had problems with the three shoe clutches with Cagllari engines, but there are a bunch of different pocket bike clutches that fit and work well. I'd say that any pocket bike engine as at least as high quality as the best happy time kit, they actually QC these things and they come with proper hardware and are meant to last a full landscaping equipment annual warranty under daily use. The centrifugal clutches will work much better and last a lot longer with the drivetrain run to a freewheel sprocket, on overrun centrifugals stay engaged and drag the motor at high rpm with the throttle closed.

I would say from my 52cc non reeded engine that its got more HP than a happy time kit but the torque is lacking unless you gear it appropriately for hills, which will cut the top speed a lot. The reeded Cags will supposedly do about 55 mph on flat ground so I bet geared for 25 they'll climb well. There are about 6 or 7 different transmissions that you can use as well, check out Ebay for some of them.

If you remember "upstairs/downstairs" conversion calcs from chemistry along with Pi, you can find out how many rpms your rear wheel will turn for a certain engine rpm through your ratios, then convert those rpms to miles per hour, once you have the framework for your conversion set up you can try any numbers for sprocket combos and see what top speed result you might expect.
The words "quality" and "Chinese pocket bike engine" do not belong in the same sentence. laff

Mention "Polini" and "quality", and I'd agree w/you.
However, the popular 78mm transmissions will not bolt onto them.

Speaking of trannies, I have heard of the 5:1 reverse-rotation one, the 3:1 non-reverse-rotational one, the torq-verter one and the jackshaft-style chain drive box.

Lemme find you the gear ratio calculator shell:

http://jimsitton.net/ratiocalc/

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well, everything's relative, lol.

Compared to a China girl this Predator branded pocket bike motor I have is really nice.

Out of the box, a China Girl won't do 11600 rpm perfectly balanced, basically stock with a pipe, an air filter, and a couple turns richer on the carb. I basically quadrupled the power of the engine just re-tuning the de-tuning done to keep the post hole auger from tearing off cowboys' arms, lol.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Pictures of your Predator pb, please.

Not nitpicking, but genuinely interested.

I didn't know pb engines came on augers, was referring to pb engines on pb's.

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
update. well i have decided to save the pocket motor(also know as cage motor i think ?) and i will use it later as a friction drive on back of a mountain bike. After much reading here and every where i have decided to purchase the grubee gt 5 silver skyhawk from pistonbikes.com http://www.pistonbikes.com/Grubee-Skyhawk-Bicycle-Motor-p/1gru66sshaf.htm I paid a little more than i wanted but they seem to have good customer service reviews. It would be nice to be able to send back a dented gas tank or broken kit parts or get missing parts if that happens. I also ordered a frame mount for this chopper from this guy on ebay he is really nice and gets back to any question you have very quick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-OCC-Chopper-Bicycle-Motor-mount-free-chain-adjusters-/141004147159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d48089d. just need to get a longer chain than the one that comes with kit. and maybe those sick front forks and tire to make mine a fat boy. Once parts start to get here ill try to post pics of this build.

fisshure

Jun 21, 2013
mi.
to answer your question 5-7 heaven. no. it does not have a coaster brake. but that wont be an issue now as the motor i ordered has drive on left side witch will allow me to use rag joint and gear on left side of rear wheel. so i will have no need to freewheel front crank now.