Eliminating the driven sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
The method you are using has been used from the beginning, all the early motorcycles were using the sprocket in the cranks to transfer the power to the rear wheel. look at a 1903 Indian, its not new. A two speed gear box is all you would need, a bicycle should never be over 30mph for long, keep it safe. Have fun, Dave
This is a pic of a stock Honda 50 gearbox, only 2.5" wide. Three speeds.

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
On so I got the bike and the crank and the jackshaft...does anyone know where to find the right gears?? arrrggggg....

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I would assume you are using the method Pablo is using. I would use the smaller chain-wheel to drive the rear wheel and the larger one to feed from the engine. I would think a 14 tooth would be a good start. There is a sprocket calculator on the net, I think you can Google it. Have fun, Dave
PS: I put a pic of an early Indian to get an idea of the sprocket sizes, remember you have a reduction off the crank first, then the output.
On so I got the bike and the crank and the jackshaft...does anyone know where to find the right gears?? arrrggggg....

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Yes I am going for that type of setup that Ghost and Pablo have so kindly shared with us. Im just having trouble finding the gears to match the chains.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Unfortunately the chain that comes with the kit is not a common chain. It has the same pitch as the 420 & 428 motorcycle but the width is larger for the Motorcycle. A bike chain is again the same pitch but they use a narrow sprocket, I think you can just use there sprocket if you can find a way to mount it. The only other thing I can think of is use sprockets for the 420 chain and then have them Ground down narrower to fit the chain you decide to use.
Have fun, Dave
PS: This might be just what you need, I think the #35 chain is the same pitch we are using. Do a search and see if you would just need to narrow a sprocket for use to the bike speocket. Jack Shaft Kit — 5/8in. x 10in. | Chains + Sprockets | Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes I am going for that type of setup that Ghost and Pablo have so kindly shared with us. Im just having trouble finding the gears to match the chains.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Thanks Egor...for the help. Thought that this would be an easy buy for the sprockets. I was going to go with a typical bicycle jackshaft setup that they have ben using forever on recubents and now adays on wide rear tire bikes. I had already bought the 3/4 inch jackshaft and wanted to stay close to what the guys were doing so I could help give them anymore input on their project....so going to have to make a choice. The freewheel crank on my schwinn I bought is pretty cool and I have found many parts and pieces so with a little looking anyone should be able to get one of these cranks without spending 150 bucks for them. I bought the whole bike for 80 but most was shipping...also about the cranks it looks like they will go on any crank arms because the bearing screws on just like the cone does. I found the bearings and sprockets for less than 50 bucks on ebay.
Terry

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Well we have not been idle. There are more things to overcome than you might imagine. It's one thing to jerry rig a set-up, it's another to engineer something to last, and it's a whole other planet to plan something of commercial viability for others to use.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Well hows the testing been going?? Is it doing what you thought it would? I see you have a new rear motor mount the downward pull on the motor still causing problems or just an easier way to tension the other chain?
I have checked the covers on my 48 cc motor and my 80 and they are about as dead on as they get so you might be good on your setup for multiple motors.
Cant wait to here more about how its going and how its holding up.
Keep up the great work.
Terry

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Quieter? Are you talking about the pipe? Definitely not quieter, but more powerful. Tuned pipes are a must to obtain good performance out of a 2 stroke. Luckily it isn't that much louder than the stock pipe.

The new rear mount was critical in keeping the chain tension. With the stock mount it would just slide. It is solid as a rock now. No slipping and pretty easy to adjust. I put a few miles on it today and it performed nicely. I am out of gas now but plan on a long ride tomorrow.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the padding you put on the cover. i love the design on the drive system you all are designing. i can't wait to here more about it. i am finally getting an understanding on how it works

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
That is so cool Pablo...keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. Depending on pricing I will probably want one. Do you have any performance firgures yet ?

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Thanks - Ghost0 is doing the grunt and brain work. I'm doing the 1/2 brain work (well suited), carrying the worry, sweating the BB's, and somehow coming up with the front money. Not discouraged, too stupid for that. We've made it this far and still there are some decent hurdles. Next I'm getting one on my bike......we are having a board meeting next Saturday.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
One thing I think I would like is the fact that after getting the bike up to speed you can let off the throttle and coast with no drag. Another thing is the mileage is going to go way up, no more spinning the engine high, going slow. Have fun, Dave

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
One thing I think I would like is the fact that after getting the bike up to speed you can let off the throttle and coast with no drag. Another thing is the mileage is going to go way up, no more spinning the engine high, going slow. Have fun, Dave
Indeed - if you have low enough gearing taking off with the clutch may be possible as well.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Is anyone besides me having trouble showing the sponsors and the posts with out having to arrow horizonaly in order to read the entire posts? If it is just me, what do I need to do?
Thanks

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI All,

OK, OK....How did this get past me??....Wow, I love the Jackshaft!!!....Very clever mounting!....Beats anything I could come up with...Again Wow!

Hey just a thought since you were concerned with the cost of the front freewheeling Crank system and there was some concern with the rear derailleur living behind such a powered setup.....How about using a Nuvinci Hub?.....While I do not currently carry them....the prices on the hubs have been dropping....I don't know how much the front freewheeling chainrings/crank will go for but maybe the NuVinci could take care of both things at once?....

Andrew

PS - In case you didn't get it before....WOW on the great jackshaft mount! ;-)