Best/Recommended Spark Plug?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I run an NGK B6L spark plug. I have been running these plugs for over a year, and no issues so far. All I need to do is check my plug color every so often, and my engine runs really good.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
This question has been asked a million times, but I am glad you asked it because my opinion on the subject has changed since I answered this same questiion last. I was a fan of the NGK B6H until I installed a new E3.10 spark plug a couple weeks ago. The NGK plug worked great at idle and at top end and was 100X better then the junk stock plug, but I always had a spot in the middle that was a bit on the fat side and could be just a tad rough. After installing the E3.10 spark plug it runs fantastic at all throttle positions and now my cheap China girl almost has the feel and crispness of a quality Honda.

My bike also runs lights directly off the white wire and my engine will start the very same no matter if the lights are turned off or on. I also don't notice any type of surging lights at various throttle positions. Right now...for me, everything is working just like I would expect it to, smooth and consistant. Thats been my experience and yours may not be the same, but from here on out I think it is the E3.10 spark plugs for me.

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
This question has been asked a million times, but I am glad you asked it because my opinion on the subject has changed since I answered this same questiion last. I was a fan of the NGK B6H until I installed a new E3.10 spark plug a couple weeks ago. The NGK plug worked great at idle and at top end and was 100X better then the junk stock plug, but I always had a spot in the middle that was a bit on the fat side and could be just a tad rough. After installing the E3.10 spark plug it runs fantastic at all throttle positions and now my cheap China girl almost has the feel and crispness of a quality Honda.

My bike also runs lights directly off the white wire and my engine will start the very same no matter if the lights are turned off or on. I also don't notice any type of surging lights at various throttle positions. Right now...for me, everything is working just like I would expect it to, smooth and consistant. Thats been my experience and yours may not be the same, but from here on out I think it is the E3.10 spark plugs for me.
I found that plug at my local hardware store but it says it is for 4-cycle engines? Will it still work? And is 13/16inch the correct thread size?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

Thanks for this info...
I've been happy running my NGK BP6HS plug for the last two seasons, definitely much better than the kit plug, but I'm gonna give the E3.10 a try and see how she runs...

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Yea...the NGK B6H plug is a good plug and a good match for these china girl engines in my opinion, but in my own experience that E3.10 is even a notch better. Just a bit better throttle response. Its a bit more consistant thru the throttle range and it seems that I may even have gained just a bit of torque when I crack the throttle wide open. Maybe your experience will not be the same, but I am thinking it probably will.

My bike does have the long exaust pipe and I have various washers with various size holes that use between the muffler and the pipe itself to tune the exaust for the performance I am looking for. So it is possible that the E3.10 just works well in conjunction with my partiicular exaust setup, but don't know that to be true or not.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I happened to be at Home Depot today and picked up a E3.10 spark plug. One good thing for sure, seems you can get 'em about anywhere...
Tiny little buggers aren't they? Being short could be helpful to provide that extra little space to get the stock plug boot on a bike with a small frame...
Haven't had a chance to install it, weather is supposed to take a turn over night, so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to check it out....

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
I happened to be at Home Depot today and picked up a E3.10 spark plug. One good thing for sure, seems you can get 'em about anywhere...
Tiny little buggers aren't they? Being short could be helpful to provide that extra little space to get the stock plug boot on a bike with a small frame...
Haven't had a chance to install it, weather is supposed to take a turn over night, so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to check it out....
I just ordered one at Advanced Auto, picking it up tommorow.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Yea..when you put the boot on it will cover all the porcelain. I have non stock exaust and a performance air filter, but the Spark Plug change to the E3.10 was the most noticable performance improvement thing I did. I just don't think I would ever use anything else now.

I may try to do a short video sometime showing the audibles of the engine running the E3.10 and the NGK B6H plug. I think the video would capture the extra performance and the smoother throttle response that the E3.10 gives my 66cc china girl engine. There really is a noticable difference especially in the mid range.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I notice some people mention the BP6 plug, rather than the B6H, I originally bought the BP6 but found the threading was much longer than my original plug so I took it back and got the b6h. I heard however the closer to the center of the chamber you can get the plug tip, the better. If I went with an iridium plug (which only come in the long versions), would that help me with power? or would a platinum plug be negligibly similar?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've been running the NGK BP6HS plugs in my Grubee GT-5 angle fire motor and they fit fine and run great, way better than the stock three prong plug...

PS just found a plug comparison chart, it says the threads on both the BP6HS and the B6Hxx are 12.7mm / 1/2". According to the chart they are both the same thread and reach....

http://www.enker.com/comp1.htm

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
If I went with an iridium plug (which only come in the long versions), would that help me with power?QUOTE]

I can't say for sure as I have no personal experience with the NGK iridium plug, but I have read alot of good reports on them from people using them. The only thing I can say is that I just can't imagine anything working better or making my engine work happier then the E3.10 plug I am using. If the iridium plug did work as good it is a bit more expensive plug and like I said....it wouldn't suprise me if it performed as well, but I would be really suprised if it performed any better.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Well I do have the Jaguar CDI, which uses a controller box and a 2-cycle motorcycle ignition coil, personally I havent noticed any difference between spark plugs or CDI's other than the new CDI after having changed the intake/exhaust timing, seems to have helped alot with vibrations, which should help save my crank (not nearly as much as cutting the piston has, however). so I'm a bit reluctant to swap out a plug with a more expensive one and seeing any gains, I would think they would be minor at best, however I went with the B6H plug because it's shorter because I heard the normal length plugs may hit the piston head and I'm not sure how to tell when that happens, however according to Jaguar's posts, placing the plug closer to the intake charge of the chamber would help power, not to mention the plug displacing some internal volume may help with compression as well.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I finally got a chance to audition the E3.10 spark plug today in my Grubee GT-5 66cc...
First thing I noticed is a bit of a hard start, and the motor didn't run as well while warming up. Once warm the motor ran pretty good, very smooth, but the overall performance was a bit less than I was used to with the NGK BP6HS plug. I took a good long ride, let her warm up fully and get a feel for the performance with the E3.10 plug. I switched back to the NGK BP6HS plug and the motor started super easy, which is what I had become accustomed to. The motor ran better cold and also better when warmed up, so I am gonna stick with my NGK BP6HS plug since my motor seems to like it. Both plugs were gapped at about .028 BTW.
The motor did run very smooth with the E3.10, it's definitely much better than the plug(s) that come with the kits, but overall performance was better with the NGK plug. Just figured I would add my feedback to this thread now that I have compared the two plugs.....

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I finally got a chance to audition the E3.10 spark plug today in my Grubee GT-5 66cc...
First thing I noticed is a bit of a hard start, and the motor didn't run as well while warming up. Once warm the motor ran pretty good, very smooth, but the overall performance was a bit less than I was used to with the NGK BP6HS plug. I took a good long ride, let her warm up fully and get a feel for the performance with the E3.10 plug. I switched back to the NGK BP6HS plug and the motor started super easy, which is what I had become accustomed to. The motor ran better cold and also better when warmed up, so I am gonna stick with my NGK BP6HS plug since my motor seems to like it. Both plugs were gapped at about .028 BTW.
The motor did run very smooth with the E3.10, it's definitely much better than the plug(s) that come with the kits, but overall performance was better with the NGK plug. Just figured I would add my feedback to this thread now that I have compared the two plugs.....
Sorry to hear you had different results with the E3.10 then I have. My bike starts so easy with the E3.10 plug that you can almost just start it with your mind.LOL Of course I like the NGK plugs as well...its just that my experience was about the same as yours, but in reverse.
The main thing though is to find out what works out best for you and use it. I am sure there are several factors that go into what plug works the best like fuel mixture used, compression, atmospheric conditions and altitude, amount of break in, tolerances and quality of construction, needle setting, timing, jet size, coil output, etc. etc. etc. etc. The NGK BP6H was the exact same plug I was using before the E3.10...so it is strange that results are not the same across the board, but when talking about these cheap little china engines we use I guess its really not suprising to me that our results would be different.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Well, my motor has about 2,000 miles on it now, I have the CNS V2 carb, main jet cut with a #70 drill bit, high flow type cone air filter, I run a 32:1 mix with standard 2-stroke oil...
The one changing factor is the weather, its much cooler now than most of the time I ride, so I don't know how the E3.10 would do in warmer weather. That said, the NGK runs slightly better in this cold condition. The motor did run very smoothly with the E3.10, nice plug, but my motor seems to like the NGK, at least in this colder weather....