Disclaimers

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Hi All,
Since finishing my 1st build (Point Beach) I posted pics of my bike at work. To my surprise several co-workers want to buy it! I've read a couple of posts on here where members have mentioned disclaimers that are given to the purchasers. What is the typical verbiage used regarding these disclaimers? Are these disclaimers for protecting yourself in case the purchaser gets hurt or in case something goes wrong with the engine etc? Or is it a combination of both?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If it were me I'd seek out the advice of an attorney. What you'll get hear is, unless from a legal professional, is only going to be opinion.
You need good legal advice to fully protect yourself, not what you'll hear from arm chair lawyers.

Just my opinion.

Tom

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
A disclaimer wont protect you much. Especialy if someone gets injured or killed. There's nothing to stop the family for sueing you.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
So I guess my take on this is as long as I don't advertise that I'm building & selling bikes I'd be Okay. ie...selling one to a co-worker who in turn mentions to a friend of his that he knows a guy who builds these things for himself and "OCCASIONALLY" wants to get rid of of it to build another one. Or the guy has several of these bikes in his garage and wants to clear out his garage and holds a Garage Sale selling misc household items and the bikes.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
As said above, a fancy written up disclaimer, waiver, and all that other paper stuff is not much more than another way for the lawyers to get more $'s from you while they discuss it.

If yah wanna sell it, do so... tell em as is, where it is, no warranty. Cash on the barrel head.

Good luck
rc

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
As said by the above armchair lawyers.......sell it "as is", warn them that they ride at their own risk and know and obey all local traffic laws in their area. Hopefully they pay cash for the bike and don't sell to idiots that are known as such. Good luck!

dnut

(and you didn't hear this from me ;) )