my bike rebuild

GoldenMotor.com

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
my bike, seen here in its first incarnation

it's definitely been around the block. i beat on it pretty hard for about 2000 miles, and i lent it to a friend while i was fixing his car and he put about 300 more on it over the winter. in the salt.

while being abused by me, i put two new clutch cables, rear brake pads, and new grips on it. that was a summer of commuting and going anywhere else i had to. the exhaust broke (and i welded it back together) several times. the muffler finally escaped while my friend had it, and it was returned to me without it. didn't bother me, i had other plans...

so currently, i need to:
fix the paint on the pipe where i modified it to fit
two new tires
adjust rear brakes
new ignition coil
new chain
clean everything

i also wanted to make a nice intake for some kinda crazy carb, but im not sure where thats gonna go yet.

anyone know where i can buy just a new engine, preferably an old grubee starfire gt4? i cant find any good ones anywhere these days...

more to come.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
might check www.bicycle-engines.com for the engine. I used to go to that site alot and starfires were the only 2 strokes they sold at that time. if you have the money though, you should just put a predator engine on. my predator install is going to cost me less than $350, and will do 43mph at 5000 rpm. the max on a preddy with the governor removed is 6000.

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
a predator is one of those 97cc harbor freight engines, right? it wont last very long at 5000 constant, they are governed to 3600 for a reason. although, i've never run one like that, so maybe it does work out?

but i'm sticking with my two stroke setup. two strokes are my thing. besides, i have real mopeds and motorcycles to dump (my lack of) money into. i'm just rejuvenating this because it's the first bike i ever built from nothing.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
predators are 99cc. they are governed because they are typically used in applications where they are run at a constant rpm, such as lawnmowers. they will run fine at 5000 rpm. quite a few members on this site have predator engines, and they all have removed or disconnected the governor. the engine should last a very long time considering it has a cast iron cylinder, vs the aluminum cylinder of our 2 smokers. a predator engine should last at least ten years, maybe longer. good luck with your two smoker though.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
i'd be worried about the integrity of the rotating assembly at 5000 rpm way more so than the cylinder...
Fo'Sho'!

The red line of an engine is based on how many hours it will run at the designed maximum rpm. If you exceed that, it will shorten engine life dramatically, and if exceeded by enough, say 100% she goes boom.

Saying a Preditor with the governor removed will "Last ten years" is guessing wildly at best, like using the word "probably".

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
yeah my chain has seen better days, as i said, my friend used it to commute in snow and salt. he never oiled it. it was the cheap chinese chain that came with the kit though, and it was due for replacement anyways.

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
i like the exhaust pipe,i installed one like that but mine runs out the other side of bike,i wish mine did like yours,i had to move carb & intake pipe to the other side to get it to fit.migght have to move my tank back to the luggage rack like yours,my fuel line is really close to the muffler.