The Cadillac is back

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
After the unexpected failure of the original motor, my Cadillac has been slupping around the garage motorless. The Atomic BB got all the attention last year it seems.

All that just changed today. After almost 6 months in the making. I decided this time to go with the fuel tank, back on the crossbar. I like that look better then a tank on the rear rack. Notice my custom hocky puck gas tank mounting brackets, that my friend Bruce helped me make with his band saw. It also has a MM Gen II head

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Nice work, very neat installation.
Hows the float bowl work with the shorty intake and at such a severe angle?
You might want to rethink that exhaust pipe routing, but over all its a very nice build.
Hows that new cylinder head working out?
FR

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Nice work, very neat installation.
Hows the float bowl work with the shorty intake and at such a severe angle?
You might want to rethink that exhaust pipe routing, but over all its a very nice build.
Hows that new cylinder head working out?
FR
I'm not experiencing any trouble with the float. I adjusted the float level slightly lower than normal. The old motor had about the same amount of leakage as any other china girl motor in the 500 miles it lasted.

I would try a straight xchamber sometime. I think that might be easier to mount. What I have now is dependable.

After 10 miles of riding this is what I think. All I can say about the head so far is it fit well. The extra compression made the clutch slip on the first try. After massageing the the clutch for about 45 minutes, I got working well enough to be able to lock up. It started pretty quickly after that, and ran without the choke. The sound is a little louder than before, and has more poppy pop sound coming out the pipe. It pulls real good on the bottom end. I didn't rev it very high, but it got up to 27 mph easily. I started it about 5 times in all. and it's started fine each time.

Vibration has been almost non existant at the speeds I've been riding, and the manhanical noise level is about the lowest of any cg motor I've heard.

The old motor did 39.8 mph with the stock head once, but it caused the crank to rip it's pants a little. After that it struggled to get 36 till it's unfortunate demise at 500 miles. It vibrated something awful above 20 mph, and sounded like a worn out rock crusher at about 25 mph. I was worried about it from the beginning. Right after the first time I hit 25 mph on it and heard this loud rattle, grinding racket coming from between my feet. That's the sound a very out of true crankshaft, that's way out of balance makes.

If this one runs 40 mph and doesn't vibrate too much I'll be happy.

Last edited: