Different experience building- Two nine.

GoldenMotor.com

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
I just had to change my build, constant tinkering wasn't enough. -After a recent trip to work, and back- a good size pothole through a construction zone gave me just the opportunity.
Rear rim now Bent, out of round, limping home 19 miles. how to make this better-(my second set of rims on this cruiser).

Decided to go with a mountain bike to try to combat the weak link, the rims.
After reading about Bluesnosegoat, and Acraze, -(Forgot to mention Richirich also)- with their Genesis Mtn Bikes... I liked what I saw- not only the Very nice Builds, Both of them! -But what looked like a nice wheelset, and attractive frame to match.
Thanks for the inspiration!
So here is where the motor started, on my comfort ride, Huffy Cruiser- (lightly modded).

Attachments

Last edited:

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
The Genesis is a pretty nice Bike, even if it does come, for me, from a big box store.
Got it home, and loved the way it handled- pretty thick dropouts on the rear- this bike will be fun, and appears very sturdy for aluminum. (My first attempt on anything other than steel).

First problem, Seat! I'm 230, and need a relaxed riding position. My highschool days, I was 165- and loved the medium distance pedal rides, 10 to 20 was a daily average. -marriage and career gets in the way, and so does the weight that followed.

My solution- might not be ideal for everyone, But I liked this mockup!

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Nothing but fun with this build. Again have to give credit to the builders that came before- at least the ones I new of, Bluenosegoat, and Acraze- Sweet builds there.

I like to do things with my own twist, and absolutely love to be told I CAN'T do something- makes more of a challenge for me. I really like the personal satisfaction of completing a task that others thought wouldn't be worthwhile.
Probly just the thing that interested me in these builds from the beginning.

-Here are a few shots of development. The steel shell I decided upon for the front mount, had to be solid, but have already dimpled steel frames. The Shortened intake I brazed together for frame clearance.

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Here is a shot of the first exhaust attempt- looks horrible, I know- this is just the development.
Next I tried to re-purpose the expansion chamber from the dodnor bike.... clearance was the problem. To make it fit I needed to push the header length out to, Oh, I dunno- 18 inches or better.....definitely a loosing battle there. At full length, I lost all of the benefits of having it there at all....Still I tried.

On the second pic, you can just see it under my pedal sprocket- Clearance was OK, just loss of the low end power was a bummer- with a 42t (I think) it was OK- just not as good as when this motor was on the other frame.

So I ordered (on a whim for sure) a 32t sprocket to see if I could coax some top end outa this bike.

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
With the new sprocket, I could not get chain tension in that, just so-I'm happy with it, Spot. So....on went the tensioner-
Yes, we all (I think), have had good times, and many a bad time with Ye' Olden tensioner bracket- Mount- Spoke Eater.... Different place same thing. I followed (again...wow!) advice from my fellow forum members experience- and installed a brace along with the bracket.
Still had trouble with that sprocket!
It just did not want to line up right- Dremel to enlarge the opening helped. And using my grinder to "Profile" the teeth on the new sprocket- made me comfortable enough to attempt the shakedown run to, and from work.

Told my Son to be ready for a call. It is 19 miles each way...Still not really happy to be using the stock tensioner- last build didn't need it.

Well the ride in was pretty good- no speedo, but she felt like she was hitting low 30ish- comfy, kinda- I'm happy with this speed.
This shot shows-among other things- The tensioner and brace installed. It isn't pretty, but fits on there so darn well- It's ok.

Attachments

Last edited:

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Follow me here, I'm not a small guy- 32t, loss of low end torque....Means I'm pedalling at every start. Not just pumping it, but needing to get going at a good clip, prior to engaging the engine.
That's cool- it's in my past, nothing new, just outta shape. I'm dealing with it.

Strange comes at about 15 miles in....Whoah-! She suddenly gets loud, Real loud. I have been stopping every few miles to check the chain, tires, etc.- But I don't stop here. I'm a good couple miles out in the wooded area, across the back side of Bragg- and don't wanna get stranded here- so I run her on into town. And she runs great, don't know why? but she runs loud... and proud, -I'd describe.
There is a 45 zone right before I get to work, where its kinda narrow on the shoulder, so, I stay on the throttle. To my surprise- I'm smillin pretty big now- The bike continues to accelerate- I'm running right along with traffic.
-not getting passed is completely new for me!

When I get to the job, I find out why she was so loud.... the exhaust extension I fab'ed outta heater hose, has blown right through, just below the header cut off.
Why was this Bike- running better, 45-ish with a hole in the exhaust?

I'm not sure to the science of it, but I have since made several trips that long with my new, open, shorty, cut off exhaust- and...Mind the fact that with the 32t I am pedaling at every start- I have since clocked the bike, in traffic, and with a speedo at 49 down highway 87 and back. Low rev's thanks to the 32t, Its all just a cruise away.

So feel free to think I'm a little twisted- I am. The Genesis is the best build I have completed to date, and since that blowout trip- I have over 300 miles on the open exhaust....
Thank you to all the fellow members that have given so many tip's, tricks, and good ideas to fellow builders.

Lovin' to ride, and wearing out tires- Richard

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
-Disclaimer-

I am not telling anyone what is "Best" for their own personal Bike or Build.
Simply wanting to share, as so many have- to assist with the knowledge base here, the sharing of experiences that has helped may, including myself, to enjoy a very affordable, pleasant, and rewarding hobby.

Thanks to those that came before, and those that will come later- This is me just trying to help the next Build- Builder, Mad Scientist, Test Pilot, Thrill Seeker, and the Monetarily Challenged.

-Just my personal experience. -Richard.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
I am suprized how popular the genisis builds are becoming. Your bike looks great!
I found on my bike that a great comprimize was that with a 40t sprocket i had great acceleration and top speed of 35mph and the best part was i was able to to adjust the angle of the motor alittle and got the proper chain adgustment so i got rid of the idler altogether. I spent so much time and trial and error and got so much great help by other members to put together such a kick butt bike,
But alas my bike now just sits in the garage. One rookie cop is spoiling everything in this small town i live in. Wa law on mb sucks. its all about how the local cops want to deal with it, and the locals here want to be jerks about it.
Anyway its cool to hear that my bike inspired others,
Safe riding and happy trails..
Rich

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Don't know how many miles you have on it in total , but it sounds like the motor finally broke in and seated its rings .

Thats a pretty interesting setup on the front end of your other bike . Kinda neat lookig .

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Glad you are liking the Genesis so much, I know I love mine. I can only imagine how much you must have to pedal with the large tires and tiny rear sprocket. I started with a 41t and felt that was to high so now I run a 44 out back and its a great combo for what I use the bike for. I do pull my trailer a lot so having the extra torque is really nice and it still cruises in the low 30's. I recently put on my extra Manic Mechanic cylinder head and with the expansion chamber the bike has very nice usable power.(I do think the cylinder head is way overrated but it looks cool as ****!) I am curious to see what you do for tires when yours wear out. I've got a couple hybrid bikes now out back and with their skinny tall tires they are every bit as fast as my Genesis with totally stock set ups (no pipe or head mods). I wouldn't have thought the rolling resistance would make that much difference so I am really curious to try some tires in the 38-42c width range on the genesis. I am on the asphalt all the time so I don't need the aggressive mt bike tires. Anyway, very nice build and hope she lasts a long long time for you!

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
It's 49 degrees out today, and I just had to get out for a short ride-

It's nice to ride, having learned from previous builds, with increased reliability being the payoff....maybe it's actually increased confidence.....seems like as you learn more, the less you do to these Lil' Motors, the longer they run...

-Whatever, Today I'm appreciatin' the road crew that repaved Buffalo Lake Rd. Nice WIDE shoulders-! Thanks you Guys!!

Yeah, Tires on my ride are gettin' a lil' thin, recently swapped the Front and rear,before it goes bald, it goes up front!....lets them wear evenly. I keep wanting to move to street, or hybrid tires- but each time I ride, I end up making a transition to the shoulder at speed, and love the control that the side knobs afford- maybe I can learn something about tires, and make an educated decision.

Attachments