I may have seized my engine.

GoldenMotor.com

CompuTerGuY

Oct 10, 2011
Wa
I broke a piston ring and replaced it. I was doing warm up and the engine made a tink noise and now it seems seized. Im so bummed. I just fixed the head gasket and exhaust gasket. :(

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Calm down, dont panic... thank the gods that china girl parts are cheap.

I was having the very same ring breakage problem, it seems all the cylinders of these engines are not honed out to the same specs.
No matter, bite the bullet and expect to buy a new set of rings and possibly a new cylinder(common) and maybe even a piston (rare) and new base and head gaskets of course. With shipping a new top end shouldn't cost you more than $50 bucks all told.

Once you have the head and cyl. off inspect the bore for any deep scratches or scoring, this will effect cylinder sealing immensely.

Now have a look at the piston, inspect the lands and grooves for any scratches or deformity, check to see if the piston ring retention/locating pins are ok.
If they are your golden.

Now for the tricky part...
Piston ring end gap,... since all the bores are not the same the Chinese figure screw it, we are only making one size of replacement rings, here's were a little old school tech comes in.

There is a tool called a piston ring end gap filer... it consists of a large flat surface with a small disc file protruding through the surface and 2 guide pins to hold the ring in place as you GENTLY crank the handle and file away at the end gap.

But if you have good hands you CAN do it with a regular file on a flat surface like a steel plate, just remember the end gap has to be perpendicular to the flat cross section of the ring, remove a little bit at a time... very small changes make a big difference here.

Set the filed ring in the bore, square it with the piston to make sure its sitting right with the bore, then with a feeler gauge you measure the gap.. it SHOULD come out to .015 to .020, any wider and you'll get excess blow by and poor vacuum...DEATH to these engines since that will cause a lean out condition and POOF... toasted engine.
Remember to oil down the cylinder before installing the new piston and rings into the cylinder.
It worked for me.
Good luck, please feel free to ask questions.
FR

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
had this happen something got in the motor and LOCKED it up solid took a 20 ton press to get the piston out of the cylinder. is a grove cut into the side of the piston and cylinder.
Good luck on fixing it may there be no damage