trek classic aluminum not a great choice so far

GoldenMotor.com

classic cruiser

Jun 5, 2011
connecticut
I started mounting this 80cc motor with a fellow i met on the forums here, my biggest concern was the aluminum, this was a brand new bike so really wanted to preserve the frame since it is worth more than the engine kit and all... i got a nice front mount and made my own rear mount(wish i had a camera) both using aluminum plates and muffler hangers. with the set up the spark plug hit the frame, and i started rethinking about putting it on the bike anyway. It's too nice a bike for that cheap crappy kit, so i put it on my 1989 diamondback MB, all mounted on thatstill a few issues(dif thread).

Anyway now i want to mount a nice friction drive with a reliable 4 stroke,
looks like Stanton kit might be the way to go. But!?? the mount on that might be difficult.the trek classic has an oval single bar coming off the seat down post that has a U at the end. I'm concerned it will squish the aluminum frame. saw a picture of one mounted on seat down tube, but none for sale, is that a custom item?

the Robin EHO35>Honda GX35 ????

Attachments

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I've mounted a number of FDs, in a lot of ways, including using the seat tube. For that I used a correct size muffler clamp from any hardware or auto parts store and drilled the U bracket to match clamp holes. Still, I would first try using the seat stays right at the fork and sometimes you can fit a plug up in the tube to prevent any distortion if that concerns you.

One thing I would say is that there may be a tendency to think the forward mount should be tightened more than it need be. Most of the weight of a FD unit is carried by the dual support legs that attach to the dropout eyelets. The forward mount controls torsion when under power and only need to tight enough to stop any flexing. I use rubber strips cut from a thick tube under the mount, more for grippage (and not marring paint) than for any limited vibration they might stop. Use nylock nuts, then tighten just enough, test ride and check alignment, re-tighten but no more than necessary.

Honda or Subaru? Toss a coin, both good, lol.

BTW, nice bike, though I'd put a front brake on it with a motor.

Last edited:

classic cruiser

Jun 5, 2011
connecticut
Placed an order for my new Staton friction drive and a Robin-Subaru eho35 today. double the cost of the china girl kit, hope it's worth it.
I just wish summer wasn't over already.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Good to go! I'd be surprised if you don't get to love that engine, they just purr.
I hope the seat post mount holds up for you. One thought did occur to me, it looks like you could also flip it and have the whole kit sit level. Meh, maybe not necessary but one thing that is, a front brake, don't wait to remember that until the time you really need one.

Good riding and ride safe.

Last edited: