China Girl Motorized Bicycle and Proud of It

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Re: China Girl and Proud of It

Very cool..
I always enjoy a vicarious bike ride.
Thanks for the tour....I'll never get there in person so this will have to do.
TiM

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

Don't know what you're asking there, but if you're taking a dig at my distaste for coaster brakes, allow me to explain why I don't like them:

1) If you often get off your seat such as to act as your own suspension, the coaster brake is capable of throwing you over the bars by accident.

2) You can't reposition the pedals for maximum torque as quickly. You also cannot reposition them as easily while in a switchback situation. Pedal contact with street is more likely on coaster brake bikes.

3) Unpredictable braking. By this I mean it is entirely possible that, in a panic-brake situation, your legs are in the wrong position to brake. That extra time spent to rotate pedals into position to brake, could result in a nasty situation. The braking action is also difficult to modulate in many circumstances on the road.

4) If the chain breaks, you have no rear brake.

IMO, they have no business on MaBs. But I'm honestly not going to look down my nose at anyone who's running them! I just feel they are unsafe and I worry for my riding brethren. K? :D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Don't know what you're asking there, but if you're taking a dig at my distaste for coaster brakes, allow me to explain why I don't like them:

1) If you often get off your seat such as to act as your own suspension, the coaster brake is capable of throwing you over the bars by accident.

2) You can't reposition the pedals for maximum torque as quickly. You also cannot reposition them as easily while in a switchback situation. Pedal contact with street is more likely on coaster brake bikes.

3) Unpredictable braking. By this I mean it is entirely possible that, in a panic-brake situation, your legs are in the wrong position to brake. That extra time spent to rotate pedals into position to brake, could result in a nasty situation. The braking action is also difficult to modulate in many circumstances on the road.

4) If the chain breaks, you have no rear brake.

IMO, they have no business on MaBs. But I'm honestly not going to look down my nose at anyone who's running them! I just feel they are unsafe and I worry for my riding brethren. K? :D
Yeahhh, well whatever. I wouldn't do any downhill racing with one, but for riding in town they can be pretty exciting.

Besides nothing impresses a girl like slamming on the ole coaster brake and sliding the rear wheel sideways to a stop.

Do you expect those tires to live forever? When I go I want to go out in flames.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Loved the vid. Great little engine u got there.
Thanks James, it's a flying horse 48 cc, with 40T sprocket. I never have any trouble with it. Honestly it only does 29 mph, except when it goes 34 lol. The motor is oil tight, and hardly vibrates. It has 1325 miles on the odo.

When people say China Girl engines are trash, I wish they could try one like this before they decide.

This little motor really works hard. It will drag my enormous tukus up hills all day long without complaint. I really appreciate how hard it works whenever I kill the motor, and peddle, especially up a hill.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Nice. Yeah, I have a 66 and its been great. It gets me where im going no problem. It runs more like a 49cc cuz it four strokes and doesn't do over 20. All ive done is put a new nt carb and a ngk b5hs spark plug on it. Ive got a 44t and its a blessing when i need to get up a hill or thru soft sand or dirt roads. It growls and keeps on chugging. ;) They fight to the death. lol Though they are made cruddy sometimes, its kinda a game of chance. Sometimes you'll get a good engine, and sometimes u won't. Keep havin' fun! Enjoy the ride and be safe! :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Nice. Yeah, I have a 66 and its been great. It gets me where im going no problem. It runs more like a 49cc cuz it four strokes and doesn't do over 20. All ive done is put a new nt carb and a ngk b5hs spark plug on it. Ive got a 44t and its a blessing when i need to get up a hill or thru soft sand or dirt roads. It growls and keeps on chugging. ;) They fight to the death. lol Though they are made cruddy sometimes, its kinda a game of chance. Sometimes you'll get a good engine, and sometimes u won't. Keep havin' fun! Enjoy the ride and be safe! :)
My Cadillac blew up after 500 miles lol.

I run a BP5HS. That's the same as a B5HS except with an extended tip.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Bugger. These little engines dont need anything fancy to run well. Everybody else gets a b7hs or better. It runs fine on what u and i have. I accepted you friends request and sent ya a message.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Bugger. These little engines dont need anything fancy to run well. Everybody else gets a b7hs or better. It runs fine on what u and i have. I accepted you friends request and sent ya a message.
B7 would be too cool without high compression. A 6 seems ok but I think I like the 5 better, especially with an older motor.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Looks and sounds great! I am looking forward to our Dallas bike ride!

I think the china kits are good stuff. It seems the major problems people have are the quality of the metal used in castings causing studs to break the cases, or dead magnetos. Since this is a DIY kit, a lot of that could be caused by monkey grip and bad wiring. Hard to know.

The first one I had ran great, but I think it was undergeared, and the muffler I used killed it. So far, this one has been very good. (you can see mine in my signature link).

If any of you are near Dallas, PM and come ride with us in October!

This is the Atomic BB riding to downtown Dallas, through North Dallas, and Highland Park. i rode about 43 miles, and this is part of the ride.

After one year and 1200 miles, the Atomic BB is still running like a very angry squirrel.

China Girl and Proud of It - YouTube

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Did you ride it with the motor running, on the Katy Trail? Any dirty looks from joggers or police? Yours seems pretty quiet, maybe no one cared, or did you go when it was pretty vacant. It seems to always have traffic, especially foot traffic.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Did you ride it with the motor running, on the Katy Trail? Any dirty looks from joggers or police? Yours seems pretty quiet, maybe no one cared, or did you go when it was pretty vacant. It seems to always have traffic, especially foot traffic.
I've ridden on the Katy several times, and no one ever even raises an eyebrow. I never run the motor on the trail. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. Aside from that I'm probably the slowest bicycle on it at any given time. I peddle about 7 or 8 mph, and girls pass me on bicycles going about twice my speed. I'm usually ringing my bell all the time like an idiot. I just like to ring it. I came up on a couple walking in front of me, ringing my bell of course. The lady looked at me, like you idiot! As I rode by I looked at her and said, I got a new bell. I have passed police on bicycles there a couple times, but they didn't pay any attention to me. I probably rang my bell at them. I'm usually riding the Katy on a weekend, and it's usually crowded.

Lately I only make it about half way down the trail because the Katy Trail Ice House is about half way. For some reason it's always more fun to ride in traffic after stopping there, so that's as far as I usually get on the trail. From there on, I just start cutting across the jungle.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Hahah. Yeah, that place has some good burgers, but it is a little pricey. It's ok because its fun and right off the popular pathway. I like to ride on that trail with my pedal bike and a kid trailer. My baby loves the trees and the smooth path. I haven't ridden it with a mb, motor on or off, yet. The path is 3.5 miles from end to end , and links to a playground for small children, in the middle, and from there, connects to the Turtle Creek neighborhood by the sidewalk trail.