Is this true?

GoldenMotor.com

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
Ok so here's the story my dad and I have been arguing that if you put a gas powered engine (such as the 49cc or the 80cc) on any bike that you have to register the bike and have a license to drive it.I tried telling him that as long as it can be pedaled it still considered a bicycle and does not have to be registered or insured(or have a license to drive it).am I wrong or right?Also I am in Whiterock,British Columbia thanks Keith

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ok so here's the story my dad and I have been arguing that if you put a gas powered engine (such as the 49cc or the 80cc) on any bike that you have to register the bike and have a license to drive it.I tried telling him that as long as it can be pedaled it still considered a bicycle and does not have to be registered or insured(or have a license to drive it).am I wrong or right?Also I am in Whiterock,British Columbia thanks Keith
Everywhere has its own laws concerning MB's. Here in Alabama (probably the most lax laws) most assuredly differ then Canada.

Might be interesting...
http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/specialty-vehicles/u-bilt

http://www.icbc.com/csDelPrd/Satell...BC_Document_C/icbc_DocumentLinkT&proxied=true

http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/specialty-vehicles/low-powered/motor-assisted

Motor-assisted cycle (detailed definition)

To qualify as a MAC, certain conditions must be met. For example:
The electric motor must be 500 watts or less and be capable of propelling the cycle no faster than 32 km/h on level ground without pedalling.
The vehicle must be equipped with a mechanism that either:allows the driver to turn the motor on and off, or prevents the motor from turning on or engaging before the MAC attains a speed of 3 km/h
The motor must disengage when the operator stops pedaling, or releases the accelerator or applies a brake.
The motor cannot be gas-powered.
The motor must be capable of being propelled by muscular power using the pedals, but it is not necessary to always be pedalling
The vehicle must meet any other conditions in the Motor Assisted Cycle Regulationsexternal link (B.C. Reg 151/2002).

Looks like Dad knows best.....

Last edited:

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
There is a huge amount of information on legal issues in Canada in the "Laws and Legislation" section of the "Motorized Bicycle Tavern".

Just scroll down the main page and you will find it. When you get into the Laws and Legislation do a search for Canada, British Columbia, ect. Believe me, everything you want is in there.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If worse comes to worse, you can give your local Bureau (or department) of Motor Vehicles a call. Explain exactly what it is you have, and ask about the laws that apply. Look them up, read them in detail. You may even want to photocopy or print them out, for use with the newer local police who may not have seen an MB before.