Help me pick the right size bike for my wife

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
I'm wanting to build a bike for my wife so we can go riding together. The problem is that it's very difficult to find a bike that she's comfortable with.

Firstly let me state that I am trying to keep the purchase of the bike itself between $80 and $150 (so Walmart, Target, Academy, etc...)

The problem is that she is 5'3" roughly, right at the cutoff between a 26" and 24" bike. We've tried her on the 26" bikes at the stores and even with the seat all of the way down she can barely get onto it. My concern though is that with a 24" she won't have enough distance to get an easy pedaling motion.

Also keep in mind that my wife and I are Cajuns, so by nature we are short and have short legs in proportion with our torsos. My wife is also currently just under 300lbs, which I'm also trying to take into consideration. My concern is that any of the ladies bikes out there might not be able to handle 300lbs. I got my Kulana Riviera when I was about 310lbs and it held me just fine, but I know women's bikes aren't as tough.

Now I know that handlebars and seats are adjustable, and I even considered getting a layback seatpost if the 24" bike puts her too close to the pedals. Also I'm keenly aware that I will need to get her a nice big comfy seat, just as I had to do for myself.

Also I am only taking the whole Mens vs Womens frame matter into account for her comfort and for the bike's structural integrity. If I have to go with a friction drive motor because a women's frame is better for her then so be it.

So:

1. Do you think a typical big-box store women's bicycle frame can handle nearly 300lbs?

2. Do you think I should go with 24" bike? On the 26" it seemed like she was constantly having to lean hard to the side to put a foot down.

3. I even considered a trike...but again they are built like women's bikes and I'm not sure if the "neck" portion would hold up.

Thanks for your help.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think she will feel safer on 24in wheels. It will be easier for her feet to reach the ground during stops.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
General advice for proper sizing as obtained from a bike shop...

Stand over the bike with both feet firmly on the ground. Lift the bike by the seat and handlebar stem and you should only be able to lift it 2" or so before contact for a proper frame size. This doesn't work for female frame styles but it gives you a general idea.

When sitting on the seat, put your HEEL on the peddle that is all the way down. Adjust the seat so that your leg is straight in this position. When you then put the ball of your foot on the peddle it will be slightly bent. This will give you the most comfortable peddling setting for seat height. With a motorized bike you won't be peddaling much, but this is also the most comfortable at rest position so don't stray too far.

Once you have the seat height down you can play with the forward/backward position of the seat and the handlebar angle to get a comfortable riding position. Some bikes allow for adjusting the stem angle too. Do all this after getting the seat height above.

Find a bike using that method that's comfortable and then figure out the best motor solution for it. My guess is at your wife's height you will be on a 24" bike and will likely have to use friction drive on the rear wheel. This is especially true with a sub $150 bike budget. A bike shop could sell you a 26" bike with a small frame size but Wallmart doesn't offer this option.