kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I called the BMV in columbus,
and the lady looked up everything, and she said that as long as it is:
-50cc or less
-1hp or less
-under 20mph

it is a bicycle and can be ridden just like a bike with no license (at least, if you're 18, I don't know, I just told her early on that I was 18).

She did continue on to say, however, that it needed mirrors, a horn, brake lights, turn signals, etc.

Weird.

But she said it wasn't a moped, or a motor scooter, but a motorized bicycle. Sounds pretty legit.

So I'm gonna buy my kit, and I guess I'll buy all the mirrors and crap too. Obviously, its a tad more than 1hp, and itll go a little faster than 20, but I don't think I'll have trouble.

Anyone else in ohio (I live in mentor, so more of a City-like area)?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Columbus Ohio, Municipal Code.

2101.195 - Motorized bicycle.

"Motorized bicycle" means any vehicle having either two tandem wheels or one wheel in front and two (2) wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled and is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty (50) cubic centimeters piston displacement which produces no more than one (1) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty (20) miles per hour on a level surface.

Keep this in mind as well!

http://library.municode.com/showDocument.aspx?clientID=16219&docID=1#hit1#TOPTITLE

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Ah yeah I have friends where you live.

Almost done building it. Should bee done by wednesday. Have you ridden yet? How are the coppers?

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I am also in Ohio near Dayton to be exact and up till now have never encountered a person of the law enforcement persuasion who did more than oogle my bike... If you all are ever close by let me know and we can get together for a ride...

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I am also in Ohio near Dayton to be exact and up till now have never encountered a person of the law enforcement persuasion who did more than oogle my bike... If you all are ever close by let me know and we can get together for a ride...
That would be great. Hopefully I can geter' running soon. The chain was jumping for me and then it broke. :-||

I have to go out of town for 2 days, so monday I hopefully will have it...

Can I see a pic of your bike?

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
That would be great. Hopefully I can geter' running soon. The chain was jumping for me and then it broke.

I have to go out of town for 2 days, so monday I hopefully will have it...

Can I see a pic of your bike?
I will have to answer that by saying which one LOL... Like a lot of the guys here I got bit by the MB bug and have more than one. The one below is my daily rider when I first built it. I also have a Schwinn mountain bile with a 66cc on it that I am in the process of adding a shift kit with a 4 stroke...

Attachments

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i went up to the local pd last month here in marion. talked to them, they said put a white light in front and a red light in the rear plus a mirror and it's legal.

JmE

Dec 29, 2010
Ohio
IMHO, the PD and BMV in these instances are not enforcing what's on the books.

ORC 4511.521 says about the operation of motorized bicycles; "No person shall operate a motorized bicycle upon a highway or any public or private property used by the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking, unless all of the following conditions are met:"

There is also a specific list of approved manufacturers and models. (I'm having trouble finding the list in the OAC or ORC but have seen it before.) According to Ohio Administrative code 4501-23-19, one can manufacture their own but it must meet the same requirements. I've read a little about a process to get one on the approved list but don't know anything about the procedure or it's necessity.

So, that means that a motorized bicycle operator currently in the State of Ohio operating a bike that doesn't meet requirements and registered as such is doing so at the mercy of selective enforcement. In other words, AFAIK motorized bicycles require a moped plate in Ohio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ohio Revised Code deems it a motorized bicycle.

Lawriter - ORC - 4501.01 [Effective Until 6/29/2011] Motor vehicles definitions.

4501.01 [Effective Until 6/29/2011] Motor vehicles definitions.
(L) “Motorized bicycle” means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

Ohio Revised Code defines it as a motor vehicle.

Lawriter - ORC - 4503.01 Motor vehicle defined.

4503.01 Motor vehicle defined.

“Motor vehicle” as defined in section 4505.01 of the Revised Code applies to sections 4503.02 to 4503.10, and 4503.12 to 4503.18 of the Revised Code. For the purposes of sections 4503.02 to 4503.04, 4503.10 to 4503.12, 4503.182, 4503.19, 4503.21, 4503.22, and 4503.25 of the Revised Code, the term “motor vehicle” also includes a motorized bicycle and a trailer or semitrailer whose weight is four thousand pounds or less.

Ohio Revised Code specifies how and which motorized bicycles can be operated on Ohio's roads.

Lawriter - ORC - 4511.521 Operation of motorized bicycles.

4511.521 Operation of motorized bicycles.

(A) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle upon a highway or any public or private property used by the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking, unless all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The person is fourteen or fifteen years of age and holds a valid probationary motorized bicycle license issued after the person has passed the test provided for in this section, or the person is sixteen years of age or older and holds either a valid commercial driver’s license issued under Chapter 4506. or a driver’s license issued under Chapter 4507. of the Revised Code or a valid motorized bicycle license issued after the person has passed the test provided for in this section, except that if a person is sixteen years of age, has a valid probationary motorized bicycle license and desires a motorized bicycle license, the person is not required to comply with the testing requirements provided for in this section;

(2) The motorized bicycle is equipped in accordance with the rules adopted under division (B) of this section and is in proper working order;

(3) The person, if under eighteen years of age, is wearing a protective helmet on the person’s head with the chin strap properly fastened and the motorized bicycle is equipped with a rear-view mirror.

(4) The person operates the motorized bicycle when practicable within three feet of the right edge of the roadway obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles.

(B) The director of public safety, subject to sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code, shall adopt and promulgate rules concerning protective helmets, the equipment of motorized bicycles, and the testing and qualifications of persons who do not hold a valid driver’s or commercial driver’s license. The test shall be as near as practicable to the examination required for a motorcycle operator’s endorsement under section 4507.11 of the Revised Code. The test shall also require the operator to give an actual demonstration of the operator’s ability to operate and control a motorized bicycle by driving one under the supervision of an examining officer.

(C) Every motorized bicycle license expires on the birthday of the applicant in the fourth year after the date it is issued, but in no event shall any motorized bicycle license be issued for a period longer than four years.

(D) No person operating a motorized bicycle shall carry another person upon the motorized bicycle.

(E) The protective helmet and rear-view mirror required by division (A)(3) of this section shall, on and after January 1, 1985, conform with rules adopted by the director under division (B) of this section.

(F) Each probationary motorized bicycle license or motorized bicycle license shall be laminated with a transparent plastic material.

(G) Whoever violates division (A), (D), or (E) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

JmE

Dec 29, 2010
Ohio
I just realized June 2011 has passed. .duh.

Still, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for Motorized bicycles in Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 4501: MOTOR VEHICLES - DEFINITIONS; GENERAL PROVISIONS.

4501.01 [Effective 6/29/2011] Motor vehicles definitions
(L) “Motorized bicycle” means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Yeah the laws are basically crazy.

The law also says that the term Motorized Bicycle is synonymous with moped.

The laws are still stupid anyway though, because they only allow up to 20MPH and 1 Hp. 1 HP!!!

I figured that I'd just keep the laws with me and ride. I still have to get it running though! Man that was a while back, it's been a month and I still haven't started riding yet. Summer, don't be over yet!!!

JmE

Dec 29, 2010
Ohio
I figured that I'd just keep the laws with me and ride.
If it were me, I wouldn't keep the laws with me as the laws dictate that the bike has to be plated.

I haven't done a motorized bicycle yet, but for a small CC dirtbike (100cc), I did a body style change on the title from off road to motorcycle. I've been stopped twice so far but no tickets and they've been very friendly. It would be nice if the moped/motorized bicycle laws were relaxed in Ohio.

Summer, don't be over yet!!!
No doubt. Supposedly, we're to have another heat wave. Hope you get it running soon. brnot

Oldkid

Jul 20, 2015
Ohio
Been riding in Ohio for a few years with no registration. I was pulled over once (ran a red light at about 5am). Officer never mentioned registration and but said he radared me at 25mph. Again no problem.

Anyhow, to get to the point: I recently reviewed Ohio law and discovered my bike needs to be registered to be legal. I googled how to register motorized bicycle Ohio and a pdf application for it came up. It wants a vin number, so I used the serial number stamped on the bottom of the frame where the pedal crank passes through (who knew?) The price quoted was $21 I think but after taxes and fees, it came to $42 and change. But now I'm the proud bearer of an Ohio license plate on my Schwinn bike. For a year, that is. I will attempt to attach the pdf application for any Ohio riders who want to be legal.

Attachments