Opinions? 18" Mountain Bike

GoldenMotor.com

wrngway

Aug 21, 2008
I've been looking into engine kits for my bike, but I want to make sure I have a donor bike that will work before I order a kit. I'm looking for a frame mounted 2-stroke as I'd like to keep a rear rack and panier bags in place. This'll be for commuting mostly, with some moderate hills, so I was looking at the 70cc at ThatsDax.

My current bike is an Raleigh 18" hybrid. The frame is similar to that of a standard mountain bike. It fits the dimension requirements at SpookyTooth Cycles. http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/images/engines/frame-parts.jpg

The seat tube clearance from the top to bottom tube is 12".

I have another bike that's a little larger, but I'd like to use the 18" because it's more comfortable.

What are your opinions on installing a kit on the bike? What complications might I run into? I don't mind doing some simple mods, but as this would be my first install, I'd rather keep it simple.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :)

I am not familiar with your bike but if it meets the frame size requirements you should be just fine.
:ride2:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I don't know about your bike, but after just finishing a 20" bike I can tell you there is going to be nothing simple or un-complicated about an 18" bike. I would suggest you lay the bike on its side then lay the engine on its side where you want it and you will begin to see "un-complicated" Happy Trails & good luck Walter F.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll swing by Wally World to see if they have a cheap substitute.

Here's a picture of a bike that looks just like mine. Did I say simple? Perhaps I should've said, I don't want to make the process unecessarily complicated. :p I do have Revo shifters, so that will be something I'll have to deal with.

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~bikedoc/Raleigh passage 5-17-06.JPG
From the pic of the link above it looks like it would fit just fine with very little mod....

Here is a link 4 ya........http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-kind-bike-would-you-recommend-510.html

Most 24" or 26" bicycle with diamond frame and horizontal top tube should have sufficient space to mount motor.

At least 12.5 inches running along the seat tube from the top of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the top tube.Tubing size from 1-1.5inches on the both the seat and down tube. Plus or minus 70deg. above the bottom bracket between the down tube and the seat tube. Inner distance between pedals needs to be greater than 4.5 inches in width to clear the 4.5inch wide motor.

wrngway

Aug 21, 2008
Well, after days of reading, I went ahead and ordered a kit from Dax. If it doesn't fit I have a second bike that has plenty of room and will definitely work.

I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks!

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
my engine fits in here so you should have no problem

IF ANYTHING YOU MAY HAVE TO RUN THROTTLE CABLE THRU TOP TUBE BUT MORE THAT LIKELY YOULL BE OK WITH THAT FRAME