Florida's Confusing Laws

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
There are numerous things being said about our bikes legal status here in Florida. No wonder! Florida DOT is even confused it seems!

1. Under the definition of "Moped" it says: "Displacement of 50 cc or less (for those with an internal combustion engine)

2. Under "Motorcycle Registration In Florida" it says: "If you own a motorcycle or moped with a 50 cc or larger engine, you'll need to register it with the State of Florida and obtain regular motorcycle license plates.

Is it any wonder there is confusion? Here in Saint Johns County they will not issue a license plate period. They say it cannot be registered because bicycles have no VIN or title.

In other counties it seems they do license them. I sent an email to Florida DOT explaining the above and asking them for a legal, or at least an explanation, in writing, SOMETHING that we can produce if we are questioned or challenged.

Cross your fingers!

Terry

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
There are numerous things being said about our bikes legal status here in Florida. No wonder! Florida DOT is even confused it seems!

1. Under the definition of "Moped" it says: "Displacement of 50 cc or less (for those with an internal combustion engine)

2. Under "Motorcycle Registration In Florida" it says: "If you own a motorcycle or moped with a 50 cc or larger engine, you'll need to register it with the State of Florida and obtain regular motorcycle license plates.

Is it any wonder there is confusion? Here in Saint Johns County they will not issue a license plate period. They say it cannot be registered because bicycles have no VIN or title.

In other counties it seems they do license them. I sent an email to Florida DOT explaining the above and asking them for a legal, or at least an explanation, in writing, SOMETHING that we can produce if we are questioned or challenged.

Cross your fingers!

Terry
Terry,

I've written several times here and on the other forum on this topic on how to register/tag.

You may be "stirring the pot" by contacting DMV, IMHO and make registering not allowed at all.

I don't think there is anything to "fix" in Florida regarding MB's.

All the verbiage/ legal is already in place - keep the pertinent info. with you just in case.

:)

add:
I'll see if there is any other info that I can find to help.

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I know what you mean about stirring the pot. Sometime soon I hope to be having a talk about our club, here in Saint Johns County, with a reporter from our locale rag. The purpose would be to get some of these guys around the county to join us. I know the subject of "license" will be asked. I don't want to say one thing and have it later come back to bite my behind! :)

Terry

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
If a DMV anywhere in FL registers a motorized bicycle, then they all can, because vehicle registration is a state matter.

If anyone has registered a MB in FL, I'm sure all the Floridians would appreciate seeing the registration and other documentation (with identifying information redacted, of course), in order to determine under what classification the bike was handled.
Lets see...

a. Plate Type: MCR (Motorcycle Regular)
b. CC/Brake HP: 2
c. Class Code: 69 (Mopeds, Pedal Activated - motor NOT in excess of 2 BHP)

Please research topic, all was previously answered and please let me know if I can I be of further assistance.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I know what you mean about stirring the pot. Sometime soon I hope to be having a talk about our club, here in Saint Johns County, with a reporter from our locale rag. The purpose would be to get some of these guys around the county to join us. I know the subject of "license" will be asked. I don't want to say one thing and have it later come back to bite my behind! :)

Terry
Check your PM please.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
So this is what I get out of whats been said. You don't need to regester anything less than 50 ccs. Right ? And that would mean a moped /and or bicycle with motor since siad MB is classified as a moped here in FL. (peddles) if it is again 49 ccs or less. Right ? Thanks for the feed back.dance1

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
So this is what I get out of whats been said. You don't need to regester anything less than 50 ccs. Right ? And that would mean a moped /and or bicycle with motor since siad MB is classified as a moped here in FL. (peddles) if it is again 49 ccs or less. Right ? Thanks for the feed back.dance1

Please see this thread:

REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. PERIOD.

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/florida-law-registration-required-28512.html#post270578

Terry, don't mean to hijack your thread, just trying to help fellow Florida MBers.

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.
went to pinellas co. fl. dmv over an hour not on line at the desk they could not figure it out, they said let us know if you get a answer. no reg for me. more money in my pocket.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

DT2010

Jun 26, 2010
Florida
Does anyone know what we need to have on order to get our bikes "registered"

Like light wise and stuff ?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Does anyone know what we need to have on order to get our bikes "registered"

Like light wise and stuff ?
You can refer to the thread cited in post #15:

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/florida-law-registration-required-28512.html#post270578

For registration, safety equipment does not come up in conversation. (The tag office assumes the vehicle is equipped as such.)

Yes headlight, tail light is required, and the 3 Florida Statues on Safety Equipment goes into further detail.

Welcome!

What part of Florida are you from?

PS: Its often suggested by the OPS and fellow forum members to research the topic within the forum BEFORE asking the forum questions. (FYI.) As you are a newbie,well let that go, just 1 time. ---> kidding!!!

DT2010

Jun 26, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the heads up , I'll keep that in mind for the newbie ...
I'm from West Palm Beach FL and I've already had my run in with the police doezens of times , to where now I just pedal around and wait until I get half way to where im going and crank up the motor I found this thread first so I fugured I'd save a little time and just ask here ... But thanks though

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Hey, I'm in Palm beach Gardens, we should meet up somewhere and I'll show you my ebike cruiser, "the beast".

I can also help you with getting it registered if you want.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Well, I read all the threads or at least enough of them to think I could go get my MB registered here in Dunnellon, FL.. Wellll, not so easy. Just as stonewally as it was in the 70s or 80s. She tried to tell me I was dreaming of course, thinking I could register a motorized bike. Then she called the bigger cahoonas and they read out a laundry list of police state mumbo jumbo that had to be complied with before they would even think about it. Some kind of manufacturers stats and point of origin on motor AND bicycle. MB would have to be inspected by DOT for all safety equiptment. Anyway, Now I know why I hardly ever see a MB in FL. . I thought Obama was going to get the government out of our way when it came to saveing fuel. Fat chance, The fat cats are fatter than ever these days. PS. If anybody knows a relaxed DMV that arn't insanely worried about there comfy little job please fill me in so I can tag this thing and keep from getting $250 worth of tickets every time I ride it like that MBer in Daytona..flg.