I'm Legal In Cali!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

micro image

Jan 27, 2011
SoCal
I did that, very helpful information. Section 406 specifically refers to an automatic transmission though, which I don't have.

I know people think the subject has been beaten to death, but I can't find a clear answer to my specific question.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i actually talked to a cop about that.

basically, you're not allowed to have gears. the clutch system on the standard china girl 2 stroke counts as an automatic transmission, as basically the clutch is just a release, and you don't use it to shift gears.

this also makes jack shift kits technically illegal, but unless the cop knows what he's looking at, or if you tell him, or if he even cares, i wouldn't worry about it.

most of these laws go back a few decades, and i think the automatic tranny part makes sure the bicycle is still pedal assisted, and not just a motorcycle disguised as a bicycle.

also, with the 30mph limit, adding a real gearbox would make it faster.

whatever the the actual meaning, i wouldn't worry about it. just don't bring it up at the dmv or if you get pulled over.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Anyone with specific questions that may not be beneficial to the thread feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to give you what info I have from my own experience with getting plates.