Sep 30, 2010
alaska
well guys i would like some advise i spotted a local bike i like

reasons i like the bike
disk brakes front and rear
its got a 9 speed rear cassete im sure its not a freewheel
low miles
stored indoors
looks like it has room for inframe motor mounting (which is hard to find a frame that a motor fits in that has disk brakes)

what i dont like about it
the price tag but it has come down 50 bucks in a few weeks
the fact its a aluminum frame
and it looks a little small too me might be a 24 incher

ill probly take a look at it on sunday and get some frame dementions

so heres the bike
Mountain Bike with extras

i dont really care about the extras i have plenty of small pumps and patch kits

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I like the bike. Only prob I see is the nine speed chain is a weak chain[for a shift kit]. Converting that chain over means finding a different rear cassette as the sprocket spacing is thinner accommodating the thinner chain. Converting that over how ever is very do able..

That cassette is a free wheel! By the way. Shimano style cassettes swaps over with all its hubs easily .

A quick summery I think you will be breaking the nine speed chain with the shift kit. That still depends on how light you are and how rough you ride. 5,6,7,8 speed cassettes share the same sprocket spacing and is a thicker bullet proof chain.

If you mow over the Sick Bike Parts web sight you will see they don't offer the thinner Nine and ten speed chain. That chain tends to break the rivets that hold it together especially if shifted rough under a load. Some of the hard core riders [peddlers mountain trails] shy from this chain as well.

I my self have a peddler that I run the nine speed with through the city. I never had a problem with it. But the first time you get rough with the shifting under a load expect a surprise. I used it with a J Shaft approach and will not ever again!

Being the bike has the disk brakes It would make it a attractive purchase to me as I am a big fan of those brakes. But I got a mecca of bike parts lying around at this point. In better words it would not cost me a dime to swap the cassette over.

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
thanks goatherder i just assumed the rear cogs were freewheels but if it is indeed a cassete (whick i dont think it is ) then all the better i have access to many used cassets in bad condition to almost new so replacing the cassette wont cost nothing but if it is a freewheel ill have to purchase one new but still that shouldnt be to bad i would need a new shifter anyway

im still liking this bike though but i really should spend the money elsewhere but then again i want a bike with disk brakes and that looks like a good deal

ill give em a call and find out more

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Here is what you will have look at this picture and the cog set on the right
Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs

If you are lucky to have the wider spacers around and the sprocket cluster permits [which is virtually impossible due to the ol obsolete game with parts these days] One can re stack the sprocket cluster with said wider spacers. Sacrificing the last small bottom gear.

They make a spacer at this spot for the wider splined free wheel bodies for the purpose of the smaller stacked cassettes.

Attachments

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i am taking a look today i talked him down to 300 with out the spare tubes pumps and locks but he seems firm for 300

but i am willing to pay 300 if i can fit a china girl in there and shift kit i wouldnt even be looking at this bike if it didnt have disk brakes i can build a bare frame for less than a hundred bucks and end up with a great bike but thats a old cantilever brake frame and bent out of true wheels

ill do some measuring of the dementions today and report back i am likely going to buy this bike and throw the shift kit purchase back another two weeks

thanks for the info goat i have taken off both types of cassetts before and know how easy it is to change em out its simply having the right tools

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
aww man i just looked the thing over and wow its in brand new condition the tires have no wear the wheels are as true as well there true they flow very smoothly the disk brakes are perfectly aligned and stop on a dime the shifters dont have a scratch on em everything is in perfect order im getting it

the only thing that is bad is the down tube is oval shape wide and short so i have to fashion my own front mount but ill deal with that and the seat tube is right on the limit for the sbp mounting specifactions

but other than that the frame is large enought 17 inches and the sucker shifts beautifly its to bad im gonna put a 8 speed on there but still i found a killer sale and im gonna take it

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
That's a nice bike.
Despite the fact it may be running a thinner chain, cassette
type wheels are better because the wheel bearing on the gear cluster side sits farther outboard on the wheel so the axle has more support .

Freewheels have a lot of axle unsupported on the gear side making the axle far easier to bend or brake. I know first hand.

Hope you get it and post your progress as it evolves. .

Two thumbs up,

TIM

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ohh and the rims are double walled yes score

well this basicly has takin my current build and scraped that now i have a new build but since im spending my cash ill have to wait a few weeks lomger to do what i want but im gonna have a great bike when im done i just cant wait the excitment is driving me crazy but patience is a virtue

good call on the axle strenght i didnt think of that but it makes sense my current bike stripped an axil and i now use chromoly havent had any problems yet

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
rebelhellbilly said:
thats gonna make 1 wicked motorbike
oh yes oh yes
i plan on making my next build as street legal as possible and now that the bike i am gonna use has shifted attention to this one it will have the works headlight, running light, brake light, turn signals, and horn, as well as (Hopefully eventually) solid panniers and of course beefy fenders.

its a dream but i have a job now so i can afford to dream when the ball gets rolling ill start a new thread for the progress