Motorized biker killed in Austin,Tx area

GoldenMotor.com

crgintx

Apr 5, 2009
tx
I'm generally a lurker but I thought I'd pass it on. It happened Wed. at 1130pm. He was run down from behind on Hudson Bend Rd. by a hit and run driver. There are 4-5 motored bicyclist here in my area of the county. I hadn't met this guy but I'd seen him at the local convenience store next to the RV park where I live. Lots of new riders out there because of the economy. Hudson Bend Road is known local as the DWI Expressway. There's a tavern down on Lake Travis that has a notorious reputation that you have to take Hudson Bend Rd. to get to. I don't ride on it at night from May-Sept. because of it. The road has no shoulder and it's bad enough during the daytime.

txlixard469

Feb 21, 2011
austin
so wut are the laws in A-town cuz I live in A-town as well south side off manchaca I didnt get pulled over but I was coming back from lowes in sunset valley and asked a cop to clock my speed stupid me well he did and i got upto 25 only cuz my carb was gettin more air to it cuz the throttle cable cap was loose. His partner was lookin up the law and said it follows under the mo-ped law and a DL is required. I was also reading in another thread that its considered an assisted cycling or sumthing whats ur tske on this cargintx

crgintx

Apr 5, 2009
tx
Lizard, you're a braver man than me riding the southside of A-town. Don't know if you were talking to APD or Travis Co. SD but he's wrong about you have to need a license to ride a 'moped' or motorized bike. Given the current economic situation, he probably gave you good advice, though. The Austin politicians are telling the APD to right as many tickets as they possibly can. Going to court will cost you $102.50, just to clear your name. The law states motorized bikes that aren't capable of achieving 30 mph, don't require you to have a driver's license, be registered, licensed or carry liability insurance. Be on the safe side and carry your DL with you. Get a speedo and keep it below 30 mph and for appearances' sake, pedal while your riding. Kill your engine at stop lights to avoid attracting attention from LEO's. They hear a two-stroker idling, they'll get interested fast, they don't hear and all they see is a guy riding a bike. Wear a helmet, reflective vest and make sure you have 2 headlights and a rear flasher and reflector when riding at night. The APD will ticket you for riding in an unsafe manner in a freaking heartbeat without them.